Fabio Hair System

23345   40   8
617 posts
after many days and nights, after many emails, discutions, crying to the moon, etc…

thanks to everyone that helped create the tool, between coments, ideas, hints on how to do things, coworkers, the guys in the forums, Sesi, etc…

here is the first Beta!!!!

http://polybevel.wix.com/fabio-hair-system [polybevel.wix.com]
3 posts
Hey thanks for releasing this with tutorials and everything! It definitely is an improvement on the default hair system.

I hope you don't mind me asking, do you intend this to be for commercial or non-commercial use?
617 posts
it's free, all the code is in the otl and the .shelf files.

just be kind and let me know so I can put you on the main page /gallery of the website and put me on the credits as developer.
129 posts
Thank you for sharing!
118 posts
Thanks for sharing your work, looking good! Reminds me of Kristinka Hair for Softimage. Kristinka Hair Link [matkovic.com]

Good job!
Glen
617 posts
Kristinka is more of a overall groom/modeling, base on pre generated geometry. where it use UV of nurbs to drive it.

where fabio is a procedural system, that creates more hair at render time and can provide aditional style to the hair.

something that can work very nicely is having the style done with Kristinka generate a few strands and then plug that into Fabio.

working with inside houdini there are several ways to achive a hair style, (one crazy way is emiting particles from the skull, use forces to provide the style, make them twist as the fall down to make some curls, and then make curves from there, and use the skull and those curves in fabio).

Other artist that i work with while I was adding features, they where doing the grooming in zbrush and another friend did some test exporting the curves from modo.
617 posts
per request
- Added length map, a texture map multiply the distance of the hairs (from the root to the tip)
in the hair, clumps, crazy, white and guard.
(behave the same as the Fur Houdini tool.)
Staff
3455 posts
just looking into this now - looks great.
one thing - the Hair.shelf seems to have a broken ‘hair_curve’ tool…the icon is default, and there is no script etc…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
691 posts
Very Nice Thanks for sharing!!
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
617 posts
thanks Michael the hair curve is back now (funny how Houdini some times deletes parts of the shelfs …)

Will create a curve and will set one fabio to follow along.

if nothing is selected will create a default line. if a curve nodes are selected at Geo/Scene level will do the setup for each one of them.
and will set the option to use chops lag. (usefull if the curve is animated

Attachments:
hair_curve.png (414.2 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
cool…
but the shelf at the link is still the old one
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
617 posts
mmm. I override the .shelf in my drop, I didn't change the name. can you try it again?

thanks
Staff
3455 posts
nope.
dropbox says that file is 5 weeks old - when I download it and read it there is no hair_curve tool
the file lists
<memberTool name=“hair_curve”/>
but there is no code to describe the tool.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
617 posts
:roll: my mistake, the button was been saving into the default shelf.
Staff
3455 posts
works great now
thanks!
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
617 posts
- converted the shop context of the shader to vopsop, now the shader can be seen in the viewport.

(use it with just a couple of hairs, since it loops all the points with attributes can be little bit expensive if you try to see the render density)

Attachments:
fabio_viewport.png (1.3 MB)

Staff
3455 posts
nice!

thanks again for all you work
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
617 posts
- fixed transmition since was not properly multiplying with the spec therefor giving black as result.
- re organize the use clump togle and added another togle “use guides” in case the user just provides normals(works on the fur sop, doesnt work with procedural pending to check)

- accommodate the “use guides” toggles from 1.7.7
- now can use the normal of the skin if the use guides is turn off. (thanks sesi for helping out with this)

Attachments:
procedural_normals.hip (2.0 MB)

1 posts
Thanks for making this great tool, I've been using over the last couple of days and love it. A couple of things…

It doesn't seem to work with Houdini 14 properly:
-When you add guides all the hair disappears.
-When you try and use Pop hair on the shelf it gives the error ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘set’

So in the mean time I've been using it with 13.

Could you help with this- I want to shade with a colour along the curves but not by using the parametric length but rather absolute length. That way say a hair can get blonder the longer it is and the short hairs will stay dark.

I created a point attribute on the guides where short guides will go from say 0 - 0.3, and only the very longest curves will go 0 - 1. Using this attribute in the shader works well but only on the hairs that are affected by a clump, normal hairs don't seem to get the attibute. Do you know why/is there something you can change to make this work?

Thanks
617 posts
-pop hair button on the shelf now works on 13 and 14.
sesi change the scatter node.
-can you send me a PM with files and sticky notes I will look at it.
  • Quick Links