vopsop H14?

40020   37   5
267 posts
Hi

loving H14!

Im feeling dumb - but where has the good ole VOPSOP gone…..? Is it not the future anymore…?

I can go to VOPs and create a VOPSOP otl….. but weirdly….

is, for example, the accel attribute no longer the correct way to think?

I think ive missed an update in the past few months; can anyone enlighten me

Cheers

Neil
Director @ Valkyrie Beowulf
www.vwulf.com
https://linktr.ee/neilrognvaldrscholes [linktr.ee]
Staff
727 posts
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/news/14/geometry#idm47305805107488 [sidefx.com] mentions that the VOP SOP is now hidden in favour of the Attribute VOP / Point VOP
267 posts
Duh, I knew I was dumb…. Should read updates…..

So to get accelerate now I guess you take the derivative of v….

Thanks
www.vwulf.com
1799 posts
If there is something that was in vop sops still missing in attrib vop, I would probably log it
-G
267 posts
Yep done good idea

N
www.vwulf.com
166 posts
I haven't played much with H14 yet, but whats this? Are we supposed to use Attrib VOP instead of VOPSOP now? Isn't it a problem that it runs in the CVEX context or whats up?
8518 posts
Neil78
Duh, I knew I was dumb…. Should read updates…..

So to get accelerate now I guess you take the derivative of v….

Thanks

accel in globals was never automatically computed by vop sop/pop, it was just referencing accel attribute

so you can use Bind VOP to do the same
(or Parameter VOP, or Get Attribute VOP, or Import Point Attribute VOP)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
8518 posts
Skybar
I haven't played much with H14 yet, but whats this? Are we supposed to use Attrib VOP instead of VOPSOP now? Isn't it a problem that it runs in the CVEX context or whats up?

AttribVOP is supposed to be superior to VOP SOP so yes, that's pretty much the idea

what problems are you referring to with CVEX context?
note that VEX funcions and VOPs supported in CVEX were expanded heavily in H14 so you are less likely to find something missing in AttribVop
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
166 posts
tamte
Skybar

AttribVOP is supposed to be superior to VOP SOP so yes, that's pretty much the idea

note that VEX funcions and VOPs supported in CVEX were expanded heavily in H14 so you are less likely to find something missing in AttribVop
Ah I see, so it has been expanded! That's great! Then I'm all for it
267 posts
Yes of course, accel was just an input, not an instant variable.

I've been in Nuke too long lately, and I've completely forgotten how Houdini works!! :shock:
www.vwulf.com
2624 posts
no more vop sops ….. an aspect I used every job and will miss.

Rob
Gone fishing
136 posts
tamte
Skybar

Correct me if i am wrong, i am just learning Houdini. In the new AttributeVOP i find missing Outputs(Acceleration, Age, Life etc) so i need to go inside Output and build those myself. Isn't it this a little strange? An updated feature with missing inputs(well, outputs) isn't quite what you are expecting from a new release. On the other hand, it's not to hard to build those outputs that you need and save to the gallery the modified AttributeVOP.
16 posts
Is there a difference between Point VOP and Attribute VOP? They seem to create the same operator type.
37 posts
missing add point to group ?

I used this node evry day. Is there an alternative in point vop ?

thank
http://www.papicrunch.net/GC-houdb/ [papicrunch.net]
25 posts
This solution is based on wrangles but it deals with the same problem (Add point to group was available as a point wrangle function, it doesn't work in the attrib wrangle)
From the odforce forum:

Also (for anyone curious) you can create groups in Wrangles like this:
//Everything after group_ is the group name, and any point (or prim)
//greater than 0.5 adds that element to the group
@group_foo = 1;

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/21694-sidefx-releases-houdini-14/page-5#entry129427 [forums.odforce.net]

Personally I'd like to know what the new way is to create a local variable name for attributes that are created in the wrangle nodes. For point wrangles there was the addvariablename(“attrib”,“ATTRIB”) function but this doesn't seem to work inside attrib wrangles.
267 posts
circusmonkey
no more vop sops ….. an aspect I used every job and will miss.

Rob

You probably know is already but just in case, SESI just informed me that should I ever need the VOPSOP just type :

oppadd vopsop

…..inside of a SOP network.

Still, i can imagine the replacement attribvop is just as powerful without missing features.
www.vwulf.com
8518 posts
Doodlez

Personally I'd like to know what the new way is to create a local variable name for attributes that are created in the wrangle nodes. For point wrangles there was the addvariablename(“attrib”,“ATTRIB”) function but this doesn't seem to work inside attrib wrangles.
addvariablename still works, you just need to specify geo handle when using in CVEX
addvariablename(0, “attrib”,“ATTRIB”);
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
30 posts
Doodlez
This solution is based on wrangles but it deals with the same problem (Add point to group was available as a point wrangle function, it doesn't work in the attrib wrangle)

setpointgroup still works fine.
75 posts
An entire vocabulary response was removed with this change. We need a new short hand reference to this technique of adding these new VOPs. VOPSOP rolled off the tongue, haha…
443 posts
Constantin X
tamte
Skybar

Correct me if i am wrong, i am just learning Houdini. In the new AttributeVOP i find missing Outputs(Acceleration, Age, Life etc) so i need to go inside Output and build those myself. Isn't it this a little strange? An updated feature with missing inputs(well, outputs) isn't quite what you are expecting from a new release. On the other hand, it's not to hard to build those outputs that you need and save to the gallery the modified AttributeVOP.

Just use bind vop (bind export) to bind any attribute value.
  • Quick Links