vopsop H14?

40054   37   5
9 posts
Bind works, but I seem to be unable to create a local variable name with that node..so how does that work now?
Add attribute can create the local variable name, but all my points ends up with the same value.
1799 posts
You should be able (if you need the local var) to do an add attribute to create your attribute before your attrib vop.

I believe SESI is trying to get away from local vars and instead try to implement the more direct @ syntax (vex expression) in more places. I hope this makes it in soon as it will be faster and less ambiguous
-G
9 posts
My attribute was created using an AttributeCreate before the AttribVOP…i just manipulated the existing attribute.
In the AttribCreate I gave it a local variable name, but that disappears in the VOP, so I need some way to create it again.
As mentioned, the add attribute inside the VOP makes the local variable name, but gives all points the same value so it's useless.

As a temp solution i used an AttribCreate after the VOP and unchecked “write values”, just to give it a local variable name to use in a delete sop, but that's an extra node for no good reason, so I hope there's a way to do it in VOPs.

why is the varmap even a thing? Just being able to use any attribute as it is would be ideal no?
4515 posts
Hi,

You can also use something like this which can create multiple local variables at once so you wouldn't have to clutter your VOP networks:

http://www.orbolt.com/asset/animatrix::attribVarmap::1.00 [orbolt.com]
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
1799 posts
Sorry I got my nodes mixed up. Yes I meant attrib create but before the attrib vop. I am actually surprised your var mapping goes away after the vop… does this happen when you use attrib create –》attrib vop with bind nodes only?

To your last sentence, yes, that is what we would like ultimately vars tied to attributes (not to be confused with global or local vars) are just meant as a shortcut from using a point, prim, vertex, or detail expression to fetch your attribute (which I generally use anyway instead of vars). If you look at the manual group syntax, however, it is nice that I can do something like @P.y> 0.5 to create a group on the fly..! Would love to just ve able to do that everywhere
-G
4515 posts
grayOlorin
If you look at the manual group syntax, however, it is nice that I can do something like @P.y> 0.5 to create a group on the fly..! Would love to just ve able to do that everywhere

+1
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
339 posts
The Add Attribute Vop declares a local variable from within Vops, but it seems to only work if the attribute does not exist yet, otherwise it is ignored. You have to explicitly type in the local variable string too. I'm not seeing the behavior you describe with the variable getting wiped by the vopnet.
Might be a bug that it doesn't work with a pre-existing attribute.
Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
15 posts
Hi,

I just tried to play with point clouds in a point vop and found that for the same setup pc iterate succeeds in a vopsop but fails in the new point vop.

The “oppadd vopsop” command suggested earlier in this thread didnt work for me (which console am I supposed to use this with?).

So the current solution for me is to copy the vopsop from an old hipfile to sidestep using the point vop (which seems to be broken for me).

:-\
8551 posts
the main pointcloud difference it that with pcopen in CVEX you need to connect P explicitly, in old VopSop you could get away with unconnected P input

otherwise it should work the same way, in case it doesn't work for you, just post the file
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
9 posts
I'm trying to create a random pscale using the attibvop

however my random numbers just all end up being the same.

Any solution?

Attachments:
pscale_fail.hip (109.8 KB)

636 posts
Landin Kent
I'm trying to create a random pscale using the attibvop

however my random numbers just all end up being the same.

Any solution?

the Add Attribute had a small note: “This does not change the attribute values. To change the value of the currently processed element, see the Bind Export VOP.”

you have to use the bind export node and then it should work :-)
9 posts
Thank you for you help. That did the trick. Has this been the workflow for a while, or since Houdini 14?
636 posts
Landin Kent
Thank you for you help. That did the trick. Has this been the workflow for a while, or since Houdini 14?

you also can use Parameter VOP and set to export for exporting the parameter values. since when the bind export is the way to go….. i can't tell…
1 posts
Hey guys, it's not clear to me when to use the Point VOP and when to use the Attribute VOP instead of the VOP SOP. Can anyone clarify please?
8551 posts
Point VOP is just an alias for AttribVOP in Point mode

so all 3 (Point VOP, Primitive VOP, Vertex VOP) will put just AttribVOP in respective mode
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
87 posts
Hey all, trying to understand this as well…currently I am seeing literally no difference in creating a pointvop vs an attributevop (as well as between pointwrangle and attributewrangle for that matter). They are all directly or indirectly an attributevop. Previously the difference was CVEX vs SOP context, now they are all CVEX, correct?
/ken_jones/$: _
1799 posts
I think this thread started when the vopsop first got deprecated (which was different). You are right, pointvop/wrangle is just a wrapper over attribvop/wrangle
-G
678 posts
It's not wrapper. It's exactly attribWrangleSOP. Go to $HFS/houdini/toolbar/ExtraTools.shelf, and search for pointwrangle or vertexwrangle. They all just call attribwrangle and python is executed to set mode and name on each of them.

You can do the same and customize other nodes like this. Just add ExtraTools.shelf in your $HOME/houdiniXX.X/toolbar and insert into it some custom presets.
  • Quick Links