h14 What happend to the "S" key ?

10477   10   4
2624 posts
Its killing me, my favorite key board shortcut > gone. The S key for changing the connection style in the node editor .

:?:

Rob
Gone fishing
387 posts
Search for “Cycle Connection Style” in hotkey manager.

Also some others was changed (to Shift+key) or removed, e.g. I miss X :wink:
599 posts
circusmonkey
…my favorite key board shortcut…
:shock:
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
2624 posts
Yes it was honest … . I just don't get why it was changed !~ .

Rob
Gone fishing
599 posts
circusmonkey
Yes it was honest … . I just don't get why it was changed
Ever thought you hit Tab and started to type, only to end up with your network view in a weird state? That's why.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
24 posts
fortunately there is option in shortcut keys to bring it back.

I like this key too

Ever thought you hit Tab and started to type, only to end up with your network view in a weird state? That's why.
Never. BUT I'm a novice and don't type much. Yet.
84 posts
and where is my favourite R key (swaps input of a node)?
Staff
4170 posts
Tom Freitag
and where is my favourite R key (swaps input of a node)?

Shift+R
I'm o.d.d.
84 posts
thanks …now its happy swapping time
12 posts
halfdan
circusmonkey
Yes it was honest … . I just don't get why it was changed
IMO this isn't a good reason to force users to get used to new shortcuts or the set them back up.
We ve been using them for years and yes that happens once in a while, so? not a big deal.
I love Houdini, and don't wanna change back to any other software, but those kinds of changes from one version to another are just annoying and frustrating.
Lead FX TD - Weta Digital
7025 posts
As someone who teaches new Houdini users regularly, I support this type of change. The less problematic Houdini is by default, without removing any power user capabilities, I think is a good thing.

There's nothing more frustrating for a new user to find themselves in List mode without having any idea how it happened. The fact I had to change some hotkey shortcuts once (everyone uploads their Houdini prefs to Google Docs or something right?) is to me well worth the reduction in pain to the new users.

While I write this I realise it would be very cool and useful (and likely not especially hard to implement) to have an Xmarks like utility in Houdini that would snapshot your hotkeys, Desktops, viewport prefs etc etc to a server so that when you settle in to a new job, all your beloved settings are intact.

For the moment I just copy them to Google Docs Hmm, that has an API. Hmm. If only I had some time

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links