obj export, not showing texture

7584   3   0
143 posts
hello

I have an animated geometry ( in fact a dynamic topology geometry) that I've added 2 different materials to 2 different primitive groups.

I used rop output geometry to write out the .obj sequence.
because the Element 3d like .obj sequence.. and of course with materials!

exported and re imported back in Houdini using file sop, the imported sequence is fine but no material on it!
on the other hand the .bgeo file is fine in both speed and material recognition.

and when I load it in maya ( the .obj sequence), there is no material also.

what should I do for proper export .obj material with materials?

thank you in advance
Edited by - Sept. 18, 2015 17:16:33
2555 posts
I think people have given up on the OBJ format it is a very old format. Try using FBX instead. If you insist on using OBJ, look for a companion .MTL file in the same folder as the OBJ. This is the material file for that OBJ. Some softwares actually require that you import the .MTL separately after you import the OBJ. I am not sure exactly how Maya works in the case.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
637 posts
when i'm correct the obj export doesn't create the mtl file so no export of texture.

maybe this can help:
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=101669 [sidefx.com]
143 posts
Enivob
I think people have given up on the OBJ format it is a very old format. Try using FBX instead.

yes I think FBX works just fine.
in Maya I loaded the exported FBX file then used a script to save out the .obj file format out of Maya to use it in E3d.

thank you very much
  • Quick Links