H15 great

3666   9   0
378 posts
… but I would have hoped for some viewport improvements….
637 posts
OneBigTree

???

there are some updates:
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3138&Itemid=422#ui [sidefx.com]
378 posts
mandrake0
OneBigTree

???

there are some updates:
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3138&Itemid=422#ui [sidefx.com]

Yes, and none of it improves the viewport.
Still no automatic cusping (aka anglebased normals) for the viewport, High end lighting looks like, well not so highend… (see screenshot)
Note the dark cube, it gets dark when you orbit around it as if it moves out of the light cone.
The splitview still has fixed dividers, and so on….

Attachments:
highend lighting.jpg (31.5 KB)

Staff
5161 posts
There's quite a few improvements in the viewport in H15.

• Shading modes improved (oren-nayar diffuse, various specular - GGX, phong, blinn), with energy conservation and fresnel blending.
  • Improved shaders to match the material gallery
  • Better normal map support (world and tangent) and Roughness map support
  • Specular, emission, diffuse and bump maps were already supported in H14, but better represented by our materials now
  • Onion skinning
  • Much faster drawing and processing of bones & nulls for character animation
  • Hair shading
  • Environment map support for environment lights in normal quality lighting

It's not mentioned quite as prominently as some of the other H15 features, simply because it's in a supporting role for those features.

Attachments:
shaderball-half.jpg (450.3 KB)

378 posts
Yes that doesn't help if the lighting doesn't work.
Staff
5161 posts
Still no automatic cusping (aka anglebased normals) for the viewport

This will not happen until mantra does this as well. It'd be too confusing to have it look right in the viewport, and wrong in the render.
378 posts
twod
Still no automatic cusping (aka anglebased normals) for the viewport

This will not happen until mantra does this as well. It'd be too confusing to have it look right in the viewport, and wrong in the render.

LOL
It was mentioned they were working on it for 14 but it didn't make it so I was hoping…
143 posts
Here are all the new materials with their default values. There are two guys in the very back that have the toon shaders on them (you can see their legs), but they didn't render

Attachments:
mats.png (888.3 KB)

1626 posts
There are two guys in the very back that have the toon shaders on them (you can see their legs), but they didn't render

Are you sure you did it correctly? You need to have 2 copies of the mesh in the same position, one gets the Toon Outline (that's what you applied to those guys probably) the other the Toon Surface or any other shader.

What the Toon outline does it displace the mesh according to certain parameters and render only the back side of it. So you get a silhouette of everything.

For the same reason the current Toon Outline implementation is only very limited when you need interior lines, because those can't really be created with that method.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
143 posts
Ah cool…no I did not do that! I just dragged/dropped the materials on to the dolls and that was it. Thank you.
  • Quick Links