[Houdini Apprentice | Newbie]: Fuse SOP and Clean SOP.

2454   6   0
4 posts
Hi everyone. My name is Brandon and I have a question regarding this software. I'm attempting to use Adobe After Effect's “Element 3D” plug-in to animate the “blowing apart” of an Engine's inner components. However, when I do this, the model I was supplied by an engineer does this whenever I apply a “displace” effect.

Now a tutorial I've been following
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hjNjPHix70 [youtube.com] does the same steps I do on a different 3D model and can separate the individual components easily without any… I'll call it “tearing”.

I've asked around online and I've been told that using the “fuse SOP and the clean SOP” on this software I can fix it. Could any one walk me through the steps on how I can prevent the object from blowing up in 20000 pieces?

Thank you for your time.
4 posts
I suppose scratch this request. Every time I import the .OBJ engine Houdini Apprentice crashes. Fun idea while it lasted.
Staff
3455 posts
hmmm
don't know why someone would mention “fuse SOP and the clean SOP”

what you're likely looking for is ‘explodedview’

those chess pieces look like they are doing the reverse of what the explodedview does

check out this file - just press play

Attachments:
explodedview.hip (113.9 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
4 posts
Yes this is pretty much exactly what I am looking to do!!!

I'd like the Engine to start off as individual pieces scattered around in random directions and then move towards the center to form a complete Engine model. After the animation is complete, I'd export the .OBJ and use Element 3D to move around an artificial camera etc.

This probably was my most promising lead yet. However… when importing the .OBJ file into HA you see nothing but an empty project, then attempting to do anything else (even after waiting 10 minutes) it crashes due to a fatal error. I may have to resort to another program like Blender (which does open this file), if it even accomplish what I'm setting out to do.
Edited by - March 29, 2016 16:54:42
459 posts
Hi Brandon
If you want people to debug your obj file you should consider uploading it so people can take a look.

-b
http://www.racecar.no [www.racecar.no]
4 posts
bonsak
Hi Brandon
If you want people to debug your obj file you should consider uploading it so people can take a look.

-b
I would be happy to! Unfortunately… I have to keep the circle small though due to me getting in trouble if I throw it out there into the public sphere. I don't model these objects sadly so I can't recreate something in the same vein that I can use to help me understand how to correct these issues.
Staff
3455 posts
Brandon Smith2345 - check your pm's
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links