debian kernel 2.6

9069   10   3
1 posts
hi,

i am new to the houdini apprentice program and want to download houdini for my debian distr. i read that it is important to chose the right distr. of houdinin that is compatible with my libs and kernel. i am running debian sarge on a kernel 2.6.6 and xfce 4.2.2 (i also have gnome, just in case). anybody knows which download i should choose? i just wanted to ask before i get on and try every single one ;-)

thanks
killkolor
276 posts
I think you should be able to get away with the RH9 build. Check here for more info too:

http://www.odforce.net/wiki/index.php/PlatformIssues [odforce.net]

Take care,
George.
330 posts
RH9 is fine for Unbuntu so id be surprised if it was different for Debian
325 posts
Hi,

I am planning to install Debian 3.1 r1r0a Sarge on my AMD 64 bit Dual Core system. On the other hand it is stated that 64-bit Debian version of Houdini installation is meant for SID package of Debian. Does it mean that Sarge version won't be able to run it? Or did I get something wrong?

Thanks.
I liked the Mustang
Staff
5161 posts
Does it mean that Sarge version won't be able to run it? Or did I get something wrong?

Nope, Houdini should run on Sarge. Sid is recommended, as it's stable, and in the long run, you'll likely have fewer difficulties. But if you want to be on the bleeding edge, with all the features and headaches that entails, you can use Sarge with Houdini.
325 posts
I am sorry, but according to this page -
http://www.debian.org/releases/unstable/index.en.html [debian.org]

“The code name for Debian's development distribution is ”sid“, aliased to ”unstable“. Most of the development work that is done in Debian, is uploaded to this distribution. This distribution will never get released; instead, packages from it will propagate into testing and then into a real release.”

i.e. SID is unstable, while Sarge is officially stable. On the other hand you say that
Sid is recommended, as it's stable
… Is there some confusion out there?
I liked the Mustang
Staff
5161 posts

Just mine ops:

However, my point remains the same - either distribution should work with Houdini.
519 posts
Killkolor,

you should just check which version of gcc you are using and then get the debian/RH/Suse package. So in your case you should get the i686 gcc 3.2 package. If you are running the Sid branch, get the i686 gcc 3.4. I am running gentoo 64bits here (highly unstable to some) and the 64bit Sid(highly unstable to some) version of houdini. Works fine.

MADjestic, i think you'll be fine with the 64bit Sarge and the 64bit Sid version of houdini. The 64 bit debian is still a bit beta anyway, i think… ?
581 posts
MADjestic
I am sorry, but according to this page -
http://www.debian.org/releases/unstable/index.en.html [debian.org]

“The code name for Debian's development distribution is ”sid“, aliased to ”unstable“. Most of the development work that is done in Debian, is uploaded to this distribution. This distribution will never get released; instead, packages from it will propagate into testing and then into a real release.”

i.e. SID is unstable, while Sarge is officially stable. On the other hand you say that
Sid is recommended, as it's stable
MADjestic i have been using Debian for a long time, 3 years i think, now I am using Ubuntu.
Debian stable is intended for servers. Unstable is better for desktops because it hasup to date software, and yes for desktops is stable.
Actually thereally unstable branch is testing, codename etch, with is where the Debian developing (and Ubuntu too ) is done.
The package are tested in testing, when it passes a testing time they are put in unstable, and unstable will be the release candidate for the future stable version.
The unstable version in Debian is like the stable version in RedHat, Ubuntu or SUSE.
So use sid, I am sure that there is an unofficial sid version for amd64.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
139 posts
lisux
Actually thereally unstable branch is testing, codename etch, with is where the Debian developing (and Ubuntu too ) is done.
The package are tested in testing, when it passes a testing time they are put in unstable, and unstable will be the release candidate for the future stable version.
The unstable version in Debian is like the stable version in RedHat, Ubuntu or SUSE.

Actually, packages first go into experimental, then into unstable (sid). After they pass some initial requirements, they are moved into testing (currently etch). At some point etch is released and made the stable distribution and they start working on a new testing distribution.

I usually recommend that people use the testing distributions for their desktops. You get all of the new packages, but you're not on the bleeding edge and so things break less often If you're super-paranoid about breaking things, then stick with stable - but you won't have as much fun

Check out http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/ [debian.org] for info on the AMD64 port of debian.
581 posts
catlee
lisux

Actually, packages first go into experimental, then into unstable (sid). After they pass some initial requirements, they are moved into testing (currently etch). At some point etch is released and made the stable distribution and they start working on a new testing distribution.

I usually recommend that people use the testing distributions for their desktops. You get all of the new packages, but you're not on the bleeding edge and so things break less often If you're super-paranoid about breaking things, then stick with stable - but you won't have as much fun

Check out http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/ [debian.org] for info on the AMD64 port of debian.
Sorry i made a mistake, cattle is right.
The unstable branch is called sid, and the testing brach is etch.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links