Error with Create/Modify Rig in Auto rig from shelf

5406   8   2
13 posts
Hi guys!
I have some issues with creating animation and deformation rig from any of auto regs from the shelf,

In console I see that lines –

oplibObject/Biped_deform_rig?Object/Biped_deform_rig Error(1): Expecting open brace

When I check with middle mouse btn on auto rig i see many errors with this lines

Bad parameter reference “/display capture geometry” in parameter bla bla bla…

I'm on windows 8.1 primary language was changed to English.

Thank advance for any suggestions!
FX Artist / TD at Progressive FX
2536 posts
My first thought was foreign characters in a user name path. Maybe changing the system language messed things up a bit? Try a re-install now that you have set the language to English.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
13 posts
Enivob
My first thought was foreign characters in a user name path. Maybe changing the system language messed things up a bit? Try a re-install now that you have set the language to English.

Same problem on Mac and Linux, on different machines, on mac and linux primary Language native is English and user name also on english,

this is really confused me because auto rig is really awesome stuff but i can use it….

Can you test it and create deform and anim rig from auto rig,, or I can upload file with my errors?
2536 posts
Auto RIG has been removed or depreciated for a couple of versions now. Have you tried using one of the newer built-in characters that ship with Houdini 15.5?

Feel free to upload your file.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
13 posts
Enivob
Auto RIG has been removed or depreciated for a couple of versions now. Have you tried using one of the newer built-in characters that ship with Houdini 15.5?

Feel free to upload your file.
No, I just try use only from auto rig shelf, Hmmm, so I should use only hand made bones for rig and no other options for do this faster?

Btw, thank you for your feedback.
2536 posts
I am playing around with rigs my self. Try out the simplemale or simplefemale rigs under the Character shelf. They are nice FK/IK rigs to practice animation with.

Another way to get a rig into Houdini is to import it from a FBX or Alembic. Many programs will generate an FBX such as Make Human [makehuman.org] and Blender [blender.org] which are both free. Blendswap.com [blendswap.com] has rigs that you can load in Blender then export as FBX as a starting point. Make Human supports multiple skeleton types so you can target what kind of rig you need. Such as game, talking etc… But FBX will only get you FK rigs only.

There are also motion capture files that Houdini can convert into Script command files (.cmd) that you can execute inside a Textport window. The conversion tools are found in the bin folder where Houdini is installed or inside the framework on OSX. mcbiovision, mcacclaim and mcmotanal.

I have attached the result of passing a BVH file from the CMU Collection [sites.google.com] through the Houdini conversion tool. This produces two files. A .cmd file and a .bclip. The .cmd file is what you execute to construct the rig, it is a script. The .bclip is what you browse to populate the file node inside the mocap CHOP network constructed by the script.

USAGE: Add a Textport window to your interface and you should see a black console style screen.
Type:
source “C:\my_path\08_01.cmd”
(where my_path is where you unzipped the attached files.)

This will execute the .cmd file as if it were hScript source code. If all goes well you will see a very flat stretched out bone rig in the viewport. Dive inside and then inside the mocap node and notice that the file node is colored RED. This is because the path to the .bclip file which drives the bones is invalid. Browse to the 08_01.bclip file and the rig will populate with the animation from the original BVH file.

NOTE: I typically scale this rig down by 0.01 at the object level to bring it into real world approximate size. It comes in very large.
Edited by Enivob - July 15, 2016 18:11:34

Attachments:
CMU_Converted_BVH_08_01.zip (190.0 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
3455 posts
the existing auto rigs are depreciated - and I wouldn't recommend using them.
if you REALLY want to you can try building an auto rig with Houdini 14 - once the rigs are built they should be useable in 15.5.
this is an area of ACTIVE development - stay tuned.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
13 posts
Enivob
arctor
if you REALLY want to you can try building an auto rig with Houdini 14 - once the rigs are built they should be useable in 15.5.
this is an area of ACTIVE development - stay tuned.

Oh, i see. Thank you for info. I think I should dive deeper in create own rigs for characters.

13 posts
Enivob
I am playing around with rigs my self. Try out the simplemale or simplefemale rigs under the Character shelf. They are nice FK/IK rigs to practice animation with.

Another way to get a rig into Houdini is to import it from a FBX or Alembic. Many programs will generate an FBX such as Make Human [makehuman.org] and Blender [blender.org] which are both free. Blendswap.com [blendswap.com] has rigs that you can load in Blender then export as FBX as a starting point. Make Human supports multiple skeleton types so you can target what kind of rig you need. Such as game, talking etc… But FBX will only get you FK rigs only.

There are also motion capture files that Houdini can convert into Script command files (.cmd) that you can execute inside a Textport window. The conversion tools are found in the bin folder where Houdini is installed or inside the framework on OSX. mcbiovision, mcacclaim and mcmotanal.

I have attached the result of passing a BVH file from the CMU Collection [sites.google.com] through the Houdini conversion tool. This produces two files. A .cmd file and a .bclip. The .cmd file is what you execute to construct the rig, it is a script. The .bclip is what you browse to populate the file node inside the mocap CHOP network constructed by the script.

USAGE: Add a Textport window to your interface and you should see a black console style screen.
Type:
source “C:\my_path\08_01.cmd”
(where my_path is where you unzipped the attached files.)

This will execute the .cmd file as if it were hScript source code. If all goes well you will see a very flat stretched out bone rig in the viewport. Dive inside and then inside the mocap node and notice that the file node is colored RED. This is because the path to the .bclip file which drives the bones is invalid. Browse to the 08_01.bclip file and the rig will populate with the animation from the original BVH file.

NOTE: I typically scale this rig down by 0.01 at the object level to bring it into real world approximate size. It comes in very large.

Thanks man, i'll check it in Monday on job! Good weekend!
  • Quick Links