Physical Camera

4164   6   1
292 posts
With the big advances in Houdini lighting/shading since v9, there remains a big gap, and that's a physical camera.
More and more artists & TDs are demanding better camera control analogous to real cameras, especially good exposure control. (note that turning a light up and down is not equivalent to camera exposure control). It would be so great if CG lighters could speak the same language as the camera crew.

To this end, please +1 if you support the development of a physical camera that supports the following (or add your comments if you think something should be added to./removed from the list) These in addition to the current camera controls:

-shutter or disk (shutter speed / shutter angle) for still or moving camera. that affects exposure and motion blur
-F-stop that affects exposure and DOF
-T-stop that affects exposure and DOF
-horizontal and vertical lens shift
-ND filters (equivalent to global light intensity control without CT shift)
-ISO
-White balance
-natural vignetting

Nick
2624 posts
Hi Nick,

DOF / exposure get adjusted in comp as often or not the plates get graded / exposed / colour corrected by 2d / final grade. Then factor in old lens / digital camera conbinations and you have just opened up a complete can of worms and development nightmare !

rob
Gone fishing
655 posts
I would love to have a physical camera model in Houdini as well, controlling it would allow things to fall into place nicely (lighting levels, exposure, DoF, revisualisation and narrative issues…) and although circusmomnkey is right that there may be some readjustments/drawbacks I personally value more a coherent camera/light/shader environment.

my 2 cents
208 posts
Agree with Rob but camera metadata carries the bulk of the information already so from a camera matching standpoint, more robust camera controls would highlight the shot's sweet spot.
2624 posts
The funny thing is I am a photographer and the last thing I want is ND filters / White balance iso control . In Houdini or any 3d package its all pretty pointless. lets look at natural vignetting > . I am sure everyone knows what this is , I challenge anyone to define what “natural” is when driven by the lens and what camera combo its on. As a photographer I dont want vignetting if I could get rid of it I would.I buy lens with the least amount vignetting at the faster shutter speeds. Or how about ND filters. Created to stop down due to the limitations of the shutter. Sorry we dont have that limitation in the 3d world, why on earth would I want to introduce it.

rob
Gone fishing
373 posts
That's fine, you could turn off those options if they were available, or keep using the standard camera. I think it'd be a great addition to have. Vray/mental ray users seem pretty keen on the use of the physical camera. Arnold also has exposure control on the camera as well as even a rolling shutter option, and also has options for modifying how the shutter opens and closes over a frame as well (with a ramp curve control).

Btw: I put in RFE: (ID# 77634): There should be a physical camera like the one in VRay

You should contact support and let them know your thoughts on the physical camera.
Ian Farnsworth
387 posts
Solitude
options for modifying how the shutter opens and closes over a frame as well (with a ramp curve control)..

Add: vm_shuttershape - It's ramp control for shutter shape.

There is also vm_whitepoint control.
  • Quick Links