Can't write .obj files

2627   6   0
34 posts
Hey all,

I realized I can't seem to write obj files anymore. Is this true of other people?

I am on windows 10 and working in Houdini Indie. I tried H 15.5.408 and 15.5.607. I tried the file node and rop nodes. I can write bgeo's and fbx files just fine to the same locations (not a permissions or disk issue).

Here is a simple sample file. Give it a whirl.

Thanks ahead of time,

-bk

Attachments:
writeobj.hiplc (49.1 KB)

2538 posts
Verified using Houdini 15.5.607. I can write a .bgeo but no obj. I even tried adding in a ROP Output Driver. The same response.

This is more than likely a bug that should be reported.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
236 posts
Hi, I opened the hip file and this creates a sphere .obj file in my $HOME directory. To confirm it does work, I changed the file name to “test_sphere” and it immediately created the .obj file of the same name. So, unless I'm misunderstanding what's supposed to be happening, it seems to work on mine. I am using 15.5.565 though so maybe it's a bug related to the other builds?

hope this helps
Rob
2538 posts
Thanks for the followup test Rob. I tried it again and this time it worked for me!

It is odd because I specifically set my output to the Desktop and nothing appeared except the .bgeo.sc file. The only thing I can think I have done since then is to reboot my computer.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
34 posts
Thanks for trying it out Enivob and Rob! No Rob, you had the right idea. Rob, what flavor of Houdini were you running, Indie? I tried changing the name as well as the file location, but I don't get an output file. I modified the sphere as well thinking maybe the write just wasn't getting triggered during the cook. But I still can't get it to output if its set as an obj. There is a new production build (15.5.632). I am gonna give that try before anything else.

Thanks again for testing it too!

-bk
34 posts
I am still having the issue with 15.5.632. Not sure what it might be. I can change the extension for the file path on the file node from “.obj” to “.bgeo” and it will immediately write out a file that shows up. But no luck for obj files.
236 posts
I'm using Indie and Windows 10, not sure why it's not working for you, seems very odd. Does right clicking and “save geometry” work? I know it's the manual way of doing it but at least you'll know if there's an issue with all obj exports.
  • Quick Links