Scaling Autorigs in Houdini 16

3377   6   2
14 posts
Our characters are importing in at approx 180 cm tall. When we create the autorig using the new autorig in Houdini 16 it is coming in extremely small. How do we globally scale the guide rig to match the scale of our characters. We have tried unlocking the main rig node's scale parameters but that just blows up the rig when we generate it.
1743 posts
This is just a wild guess, but it may be an issue with the scene units. Houdini defaults to metres unless you change it to centimetres. It could be that something in the autorig isn't correctly taking into account the scene units. I'll ask around.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
Staff
3455 posts
it sounds like your meshes are 180 “units” tall in application A and when they come into Houdini that are 180 “units” tall = 180 meters.
go inside the Geo node and MMB on the file SOP, that will tell you the units of your mesh.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
622 posts
arctor
it sounds like your meshes are 180 “units” tall in application A and when they come into Houdini that are 180 “units” tall = 180 meters.
go inside the Geo node and MMB on the file SOP, that will tell you the units of your mesh…

A global scale is really needed for matching between a tall man and a baby.
Edited by jerry7 - Feb. 27, 2017 18:09:58
14 posts
Nonetheless on the scale, is there an ability to globally scale the autorig. I side with Jerry 7. Say I have to rig King Kong and Fay Wray? The autorig handles and joint become really small and hard to manipulate. Is there a global scale of some kind for the new autorigs?
14 posts
We found that our models were brought in from Maya and 100 times their size. We transform node scaled the models down .01 and the guides line up better.

But still, how do you scale the rig up for a giant sized character? Is there a global scale?
Staff
635 posts
bakerstudent
We found that our models were brought in from Maya and 100 times their size. We transform node scaled the models down .01 and the guides line up better.

But still, how do you scale the rig up for a giant sized character? Is there a global scale?

We'll be adding a global scale shortly.

Cristin
  • Quick Links