Conditions in vex

4743   7   1
44 posts
Hi! I want to have 2 separate branches. One used, if blast node is empty, other - it blast node has some primitives filled in. Is there any sane way to do so? I could not find any conditional if/else nodes, only ‘foreach’ made on two blocks - ‘begin’ and ‘end’.

Like, right now, no matter what - all blocks are going to be executed from top to bottom no matter what, I don't see any way to ‘stop’ some block from execution based on some condition.
2042 posts
You can do that with a wrangle node. No need for “if/else nodes” or foreach.

Just post your file setup and later this evening when I'm back I'll have a look, or someone might chime in the meantime.
44 posts
Hi! Thank you for getting back. This is not possible with wrangle node. Here I will explain why (see attachment image):

In step 1, I load geometry.
In step 2, I extrude it.
In step 3, I group it with normal filter set to Y==1, so I get only ‘roof’ part of my house, i.e. flat facing top.
In step 4, based on that, I divide model using blast into roof and house

Sometimes, in step 1 geometry winding is reversed, so in that case in step 4 I get empty roof. So, if I get empty roof in step 4, I want to get back and redo everything, but this time just with reversed winding using clean node to reverse it.

In order to do so, I need to ‘drop’ existing branch and switch to some other branch. This is not possible with attribute wrangle I suppose.
Edited by assignators - May 3, 2017 15:59:51

Attachments:
branchTest.png (65.3 KB)

8579 posts
just use switch sop to switch your branches based on some condition like npoints(0)==0 or something
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
2042 posts
So set up your wrangle at the start that will take care of different windings and group accordingly, then also in another wrangle further down your stream select what you want to ‘block’ out and so on.
44 posts
Ah, there is ‘switch’ node. Wonder how did I miss it 0_0 Yes, thank you all, will get on from here now
10 posts
Ok, well i think you can use switch node with a condition in the input. For example this:

if(nprims('../roof_A/')==0, 1, 0)

This code, checks if roof_A node not contain primitives. If condition is true it shows second branch, if not true shows the first one.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 23.21.54.png (162.8 KB)
switchWithConditional.hipnc (85.7 KB)

44 posts
Thank you, all works perfectly now
  • Quick Links