Help with HDA's

4773   3   1
517 posts
Hi all,
I'm struggling with HDA's a little and I was wondering if someone could help me.
If I had a file with a bunch of HDA's, how can I share it with someone easily?

The options seem to be -
  1. Bundle up all of the HDA's, save your file, package them together and then the other person installs the HDA's and loads the file.
  2. Embed the HDA's into your scene.

The first option seems kinda annoying to me because the other person might not want to stuff around installing all of my crappy little assets (I have a lot is that bad?). Also I have to find which ones are in my scene and then find them on the drive and package them up.

Embedding them seems the easiest way but that brings up a few issues too. Again how do I find which ones are in my scene?

I tried testing it with preflight but it shows this -

And this message that pops up on each save is going to drive me crazy -

Can anyone help?,
Thanks
Pete
Edited by peteski - May 30, 2017 23:49:34
Staff
4444 posts
I think the answer you're looking for is implied by the first sentence in that second dialog. If you turn on the “Save Definitions to Hip File” option, Houdini will automatically save into the hip file any definitions for any HDAs used in the hip file. No need for you to worry about which HDAs need to be Embedded, and no warning dialog. Everything gets bundled into the hip file automatically. That option can be set in the Asset -> Manage Asset Libraries dialog, on the Configuration tab. It's the first option in the “Embedded operator type library” section.
517 posts
Ahh thanks mtucker, that's perfect!
17 posts
mtucker
I think the answer you're looking for is implied by the first sentence in that second dialog. If you turn on the "Save Definitions to Hip File" option, Houdini will automatically save into the hip file any definitions for any HDAs used in the hip file. No need for you to worry about which HDAs need to be Embedded, and no warning dialog. Everything gets bundled into the hip file automatically. That option can be set in the Asset -> Manage Asset Libraries dialog, on the Configuration tab. It's the first option in the "Embedded operator type library" section.
Thanks man! Finally I got it!
  • Quick Links