Using Texture SOP to create geometry with materials

4097   3   1
350 posts
My goal is to be able to apply existing texture maps (albedo, translucency, etc) to the resulting outline of a Trace SOP.

First question of course - is this possible? Although I can see the results of my trace in my Scene view, does this mean it can be treated like regular geometry?

I have imported an image in a COP network and then simply reference this using a Trace SOP and adjusted settings until I get the required outline.

I then apply materials to the parent Geo node, add lights and camera. But although it is clearly visible in my Scene view, no matter what I try, the outlined object does NOT render.

What am I missing? Subdivide, UV, Normals, other?
2551 posts
You will need UVs in any 3D program if you want to apply an image to a mesh.

Drop down a UVTexture node right after the Trace. Then materials should pick up on that fact and map your texture image across the surface using those coordinates. You can modify UV coordinates with a UVTransform, in case you need to increase or decrease a tilable scale for instance.

You can also visualize UV coordinates directly in the viewport by dropping down a UV Quickshade. This is very convenient and allows you to dial in UV scales quickly.
Edited by Enivob - June 16, 2017 11:50:48
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
350 posts
Thanks! Will try that.
7809 posts
The uv texture node will give an arbitrary projection based on the bounds. To get the uvs from the original image, simply check the box “Add Point Texture” on the trace sop.

Attachments:
trace_uvs.jpg (26.2 KB)

• Quick Links