Camera Control in the render view?

2947   6   1
23 posts
Hi there,

would it be possible to have a camera control in the render view, similar to the viewport?

see here an example:

https://vimeo.com/87756365 [vimeo.com]

cheers,
patric
7770 posts
if you enable render region on the scene view, you can do that already.
23 posts
thanks, jsmack!

I know that there is an option for the render view but there is a little problem:

I want to check a full render image with low resolution but the render time on the scene view needs more time than render view for this result that's why I want to control the camera on the render view.

P.S.: Scene view and render view could be merged into one view with two render options in future.
2040 posts
There is no ‘render’ time on a scene. What your seeing that is taking longer in the scene than in a low resolution render is cook time.

Even if somehow the camera controls where transferred over to your low resolution render view it would still take just as long because before it can render it has to cook.

Maybe someone could chime in and explain more in depth of the differences between cooking and rendering and maybe the ‘crossovers’ between the two if there are some.

Or maybe correct me if what I just said above is wrong?

I'm saying all this just based on what I have observed in my own work. I know there is some degree of ‘render’ for the scene because we could not see anything in the viewport otherwise.

I'm working on a project that uses alot of calculations for geometry positions, which translates into slow cook times, although my the materials/lighting I apply for rendering are simple and hence when I render with low resolution ( 1px ) it becomes fairly quick compared to how long the scene takes.
Edited by BabaJ - Aug. 17, 2017 08:32:46
236 posts
Hi, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but you can try the following.

1/ Click the Render View tab
2/ Use drop down menu (top right of viewport) Split Pane Left/Right or use Alt+[
3/ On the left Pane, Click the Scene View tab
4/ On the right pane, click Render
5/ Move camera etc on left, view results on right.

You can set the camera to a lower resolution and/or experiment with Split Pane Up/Down or Tear off Pane to suit your scene.

This doesn't solve a slow viewport though. I would suggest reducing the settings in the viewport to make it more responsive and use the above method for more accurate preview renders. ie in viewport, turn displacement off, remove backfaces, use cheaper lighting etc. (You could even turn off materials completely if you just need camera control. There is also the render/display flag on nodes and the Display As option on the Geometry Render tab etc.

Rob
7770 posts
BabaJ
There is no ‘render’ time on a scene. What your seeing that is taking longer in the scene than in a low resolution render is cook time.

Even if somehow the camera controls where transferred over to your low resolution render view it would still take just as long because before it can render it has to cook.

Maybe someone could chime in and explain more in depth of the differences between cooking and rendering and maybe the ‘crossovers’ between the two if there are some.

Or maybe correct me if what I just said above is wrong?

I'm saying all this just based on what I have observed in my own work. I know there is some degree of ‘render’ for the scene because we could not see anything in the viewport otherwise.

I'm working on a project that uses alot of calculations for geometry positions, which translates into slow cook times, although my the materials/lighting I apply for rendering are simple and hence when I render with low resolution ( 1px ) it becomes fairly quick compared to how long the scene takes.

The op is referring to moving the camera during IPR. At the point tracing during IPR has begun, cooking has already completed, so moving the camera should not require a ‘cook’, unless you are doing projections from the camera or other camera dependencies that require a cook. Moving the camera in an ipr session, in my experience is quite responsive, unless your shaders/lighting are so complex that even preview mode rays take a long time to trace. There is often a delay before ipr can start, this is the ifd generation stage where geometry and materials are translated to a format mantra can use, as well as a delay for creation of displaced geometry and finally raytracing acceleration structures. Your scene would normally already be cooked at this point, unless you were some how not viewing the objects or in no-cook mode, (motion blur enabled will cause cooks to deforming objects, as they will need to recook to generate the motion samples.) After buckets have started dropping, moving lights, objects, or cameras will normally be fast, as only the matrices need be updated in the ipr session.

unlime
I know that there is an option for the render view but there is a little problem:

I want to check a full render image with low resolution but the render time on the scene view needs more time than render view for this result that's why I want to control the camera on the render view.

P.S.: Scene view and render view could be merged into one view with two render options in future.

Although not quite “merged,” you can enable render region over your scene view, (the icon between the camera tool and inspect loop on the left sidebar of the scene view.) This will render from the current view from the selected rop, overlaying the result on the scene view. It shouldn't take any more or less time than the render view. The region can cover the entire scene view if you need a full render. (After clicking the region tool, click and drag a box on the scene viewer.)
23 posts
that's really a good alternative. thanks!

robsdesign
Hi, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but you can try the following.

1/ Click the Render View tab
2/ Use drop down menu (top right of viewport) Split Pane Left/Right or use Alt+[
3/ On the left Pane, Click the Scene View tab
4/ On the right pane, click Render
5/ Move camera etc on left, view results on right.

You can set the camera to a lower resolution and/or experiment with Split Pane Up/Down or Tear off Pane to suit your scene.

This doesn't solve a slow viewport though. I would suggest reducing the settings in the viewport to make it more responsive and use the above method for more accurate preview renders. ie in viewport, turn displacement off, remove backfaces, use cheaper lighting etc. (You could even turn off materials completely if you just need camera control. There is also the render/display flag on nodes and the Display As option on the Geometry Render tab etc.

Rob
  • Quick Links