Deleting Primitives By Group

2459   5   1
117 posts
I am trying to use Group Data to delete a set of Primitives on a Model Sphere. The goal is to have separate textures on multiple primitive sets on the Sphere. I would like to apply a base material to most of the Sphere, and in order to get this I need to subtract it by two Group sets I have already defined via Group nodes.

I tried the Delete node but it is not subtracting the Primitives. I've confirmed the Group data is passing thru, I just cannot seem to get it remove the actual Geometry. I can use blast nodes to remove the base but I cannot decipher how to recombine the left over Primitives (Minus my defined two groups) into one Mesh.

Thank you.

Attachments:
Houdini_Delete_Primitives.jpg (388.4 KB)

Brad Schreiber
253 posts
Have you looked in to the shop_materialpath attribute ?
117 posts
Thanks A-OC, but could you elaborate a bit more please? I have tried getting SHOPNET to work but cannot seem to find a way to wire Group Numbers into it or find a tutorial which provides a workflow for this. Thank you!
Brad Schreiber
7770 posts
The material sop has ‘group’ as the first parameter on each material to be defined. In the first material, leave the group blank, this is the base material. Click the + to add a second material. Enter a group name and choose the associated material. This can be repeated as many times as needed. Each assignment is in order; later assignments override the previous ones.
253 posts
What I understand from you question is that you want to apply different materials to different primitive groups. So if you append a material sop you can just do that. It creates a primitive attribute called shop_materialpath, that stores what material is to be assigned to that face.
253 posts
jsmack beat me to it
  • Quick Links