Learning path: RIGGING IN HOUDINI 16+

7025   49   9
48 posts
Hi Mr Arctor you are very kind to answer the questions in your vacation.
I'm sorry I am not explain correctly my point of view.
In a 2d software “onion skin” is very handy in Houdini too.
The problem is when I use it I never found any way to freeze the “onion skin” pose during animation…
Let's think if I use Bea(female's Houdini character) and active onion skin I can go to misc tab and press D to set some configuration.
But the configuration not give to me any option to “freeze or bake” the specific pose to use like a reference that can help me.
Some thing like this below:

It is near what I thought but it will be more useful if we can have control to put the pose static may a “node” to do it
Any way now I'm studying character animation a lot and try to transfer all knowledge to Houdini.
Sorry to take this converstation to long but I think in a few time a lot of character animators will come to Houdini.
I'm use Houdini Indie this is a great tool to start our way.
77 posts
Hey harryabreu,

You can make a “snapshot” of a pose with the stach node
— dedeks 3000 —
48 posts
dedeks3000
Hey harryabreu,

You can make a “snapshot” of a pose with the stach node

Hi Dedeks3000 I'll try it thank you
Staff
2990 posts
you could try something like this - only better
install this hda
the first parameter points to the geometry you want to freeze
the second parameter is the frame you want

Attachments:
char_ref.hip (336.9 KB)
char_ref.hda (24.9 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
48 posts
Good morning Arctor, thank you a lot.
I going to try it
35 posts
Hey all, sorry for disappearing.

Just wanted to say thank you to mister Goldfarb for those tutorials he's posting. When I started this thread I wasn't expecting all this success and, even though I know for a fact that SESI had those on schedule already, it was absolutely mind blowing seeing how closely Michael followed all our suggestions.

So that's it, I am following very closely all the tutorials that are coming out and I can't wait to watch the new ones Michael is still doing!

Thanks again!
22 posts
Just wondering if there’s an updated ETA of the upcoming rigging tutorials? Very much looking forward to them!
1 posts
I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the series as well.

One thing I found frustrating in most of rigging tutorials is the lack of explanation BEFORE showing the various techniques, where basically the instructor does his stuff, you absolutely don't understand what's going on, where he is going, what goal he's trying to reach nor why he's doing it ( what sense does it make to demonstrate something which has not been revealed yet ? ), and then at the end you need to roll everything back once the goal is ( finally ) made obvious in order to watch again and eventually understand why he was doing it.

Which is quite painful because god knows how rigging can be technical with a lot of expressions/connexions and nodes potentially deleted along the way.

Anyway, Michael's series is quite good on that side, so let's hope to see the rest soon
Staff
2990 posts
thanks for the kind words, glad the series is helpful.

just a note on the rest of the series, the videos are done and are in the editing queue to be cleaned up…along with lots of other nice things for your enjoyment.
So thanks for your patience!

and a second series is being recorded now on Capturing/Editing Weights/Deformation.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
53 posts
goldfarb
thanks for the kind words, glad the series is helpful.

just a note on the rest of the series, the videos are done and are in the editing queue to be cleaned up…along with lots of other nice things for your enjoyment.
So thanks for your patience!

and a second series is being recorded now on Capturing/Editing Weights/Deformation.

We have to be really patient, I need to take a class to learn to be this patient. Why not just release the entire rigging series then edit the next series and so on, each video is released months after the next. I'm grateful for these series though. Thanks.
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
  • Quick Links