Is there a way to assign a hotkey to the Guide Groom "Primitive group" parameter?

4668   14   3
9 posts
Hi there!

Is there a way to assign a hotkey to the Guide Groom “Primitive group” parameter?
I mean, that function is for masking, but it is really-really terrible to use while doing hands on work.
I need to click on the arrow in the Guide groom sop, select the curves that I want to mask (I select the non masked, but ok), I hit enter. I do grooming with my desired mask.
I want to mask other curves, I need to manually delete the edge primitives from the list (double click+del), click on the arrow, etc…

I mean, I was thinking about implementing this function for the Stroke node while holding down ctrl…

Am I the guy who just can't figure it out, or is it really that complicated? It would be pretty cool to use this otherwise.

Thanks!
13 posts
I would love to know the same.
Since this is something one uses constantly when grooming (select a guide or multiple, brush them, select new ones and so on)
www.marioreitbauer.com
Groom & CFX TD
7737 posts
The ` (backtick) key should do this, but doesn't for some reason.
13 posts
Any chance that you could let me know how the command is named in the hotkey editor so i can set a new hotkey ?
www.marioreitbauer.com
Groom & CFX TD
13 posts
Asked support. For now this function can not be set on a hotkey.
www.marioreitbauer.com
Groom & CFX TD
5 posts
Looking for the exact same thing. Sad to know that it cannot be set as a hotkey. Hopefully there is a fix next update?
AS: https://www.artstation.com/phb [www.artstation.com]
IG: https://www.instagram.com/phbillones/ [www.instagram.com]
Novice Magician studying the art of Houdini Wizardry.
1755 posts
it's an issue that affects other sop nodes, basically anything that has a group to operate with.
it's more acute for the guide groom, because one has to constantly select/deselect guides.
the issue has been brought up before. maybe it's best to just pile up RFEs on this issue, until it catches sesi's attention
406 posts
Been looking for a solution as well, still no hotkey I suppose ?
76 posts
toonafish
updated? don't find it in hotkeys window
5 posts
citizen
toonafish

Hello, Check out Gabriela Salmeron's Introduction to Grooming in Houdini under sidefx tutorial. She shares a python script that you can put a hotkey into that solves this issue.
AS: https://www.artstation.com/phb [www.artstation.com]
IG: https://www.instagram.com/phbillones/ [www.instagram.com]
Novice Magician studying the art of Houdini Wizardry.
2 posts
citizen
toonafish

Hello, Check out Gabriela Salmeron's Introduction to Grooming in Houdini under sidefx tutorial. She shares a python script that you can put a hotkey into that solves this issue.

The functionality of selecting primitives for the purpose of masking now has the shortcut 'S' while the guidegroom node is active.

Unfortunately, I still can't find a way to assign shortcuts to the individual tools within the guidegroom node.

Gabriela Salmeron's method was to assign shortcuts to the individual tools that were in the 'Guide Brushes' toolbar.
Unfortunately, these tools no longer exist!

Does anyone know if there's a way to assign shortcuts to the tools within the guidegroom node?
It MUST be possible to do this!

Virtual grooming should not produce so many stress hormones as to cause the groomer to pull out their own hair!
Especially not while using Houdini. And certainly not in 2023!

Please help!
82 posts
If you change your radial menu to "grooming" you get all the tools and more in an easy to access marking menu bound to the "C" key.
Way better than assigning random hotkeys as you don't need to move your hand all over the keyboard.

And yes, holding "S" will temporarily enter selection state so you can select guides, releasing "S" adds them to group field. Pretty sure this isn't guidegroom specific either and works for other Houdini nodes like Edit SOP for example.
Edited by freshbaked - Nov. 16, 2023 11:20:58
2 posts
freshbaked
If you change your radial menu to "grooming" you get all the tools and more in an easy to access marking menu bound to the "C" key.
Way better than assigning random hotkeys as you don't need to move your hand all over the keyboard.

And yes, holding "S" will temporarily enter selection state so you can select guides, releasing "S" adds them to group field. Pretty sure this isn't guidegroom specific either and works for other Houdini nodes like Edit SOP for example.

Yes, the radial grooming menu that can be linked to "C" is an option.
Some people might like to work that way...
I find it super distracting constantly navigating through those menus.

Does anyone know how to assign (non-random) keyboard shortcuts to the various tools in the guidegroom node?
It USED to be possible!
Edited by lars korb - Nov. 16, 2023 16:03:34
190 posts
I have tried calling the same script that is in the c menu from a tool in the toolbar and asighn a hotkey to that script.
This just threw an error.

Reducing 2 actions to 1 actions might be a waste of time, but I find it reduces the cognitive load/ stress. Same reason working in a window manager reduces stress.
Edited by NicTanghe - Nov. 28, 2023 17:19:51
2 posts
lars korb
Does anyone know how to assign (non-random) keyboard shortcuts to the various tools in the guidegroom node?
It USED to be possible!

node.parm('tool').set('plant')

This will set the tool to plant, most other are just named the same as their label.
Outliers are:
sculptphys
adjustlength
resample
twist
mirror

Hope this helps.
Edited by Sempervirens - Feb. 27, 2024 16:47:58
  • Quick Links