Import ABC point cloud in Maya

10922   10   3
1 posts
Hi everyone

I have a simple question :
How to import my POP simulation in houdini ?

actualy i use an ABC to export from houdini,
when I import in houdini all is OK.
But if i try to import it in maya…. that's not work…

if somebody have any idea

Val
1391 posts
Hi

Currently Maya native Alembic importer doesn't support point cloud !

You must install other Alembic plug-ins such as Soup or Exocortex.
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
8535 posts
or if you are using renderer with alembic procedural like Vray or Arnold then they should render your points just fine as it would bypass Maya altogether

otherwise you need to do some nasty tricks, like connecting your points into one messy polygon, just so that it loads to Maya or use different way to load them, being different alembic plugin, or Houdini Engine, or export in a different format
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
310 posts
Either use a vray proxy to import particles into Maya, you can use Houdini Engine as well, or you can copy little spheres onto the particles and export them as geometry that way (but then you have less rendering options in Maya).
1 posts
Hi everyone, particle support has been added to alembic on Dec 4th 2018 see pull request #202 [github.com]

It has not come yet to the Official maya release.

They are discussing this on the autodesk forum:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-ideas/include-particle-support-for-alembic-in-maya/idi-p/8724834 [forums.autodesk.com]

They might provide updates for 2018 and 2019 but nothing planned for now.
Until then you could try to get an updated compiled version of alembic for your distribution.

We didn't have feedback from houdini users and it would be much welcome
336 posts
I've had the best luck importing Houdini particles via alembic into Maya into a VrayProxy, point attrs like Cd come in by default no need to run funky MEL scripts to access them
236 posts
If you use Arnold, or 3Delight you can use this plugin. It is a serious tool, not a toy, and gives Maya users
Houdini style delayed-load, bounding box, full geo streamed to the graphics card, Alembic layering, and houdini
packed instances saved as alembic work fine too. All point attributes are easily accessed without any bullshit
work arounds.

Multi-Verse.io [j-cube.jp]
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
1 posts
Maya does support importing point clouds from Alembic, but unfortunately there is a bug where it only works if the point cloud follows Maya's naming conventions, i.e. the point cloud needs to be at /particle1/particleShape1 in the Alembic archive (/particle1 needs to be an Alembic IXform and /particle1/particleShape1 needs to be an IPoints).

That said, Maya does not currently (as of Maya 2022) support animated point clouds or curves in Alembic. The workaround is to use the Bifrost plugin that ships with Maya.
1391 posts
it was a very good solution for static points
and yes, now read_Alembic node inside Bifrost graph works perfectly for animated points
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
6 posts
That's not true, I did use read_alembic, and it need to be set up specially for maya, if not it won't load. Once you've managed to load the alembic and its points, it will be useless because Vray and Redshift won't render the instances, only arnold does it. So, don't bother and don't waste time, use Blender (free and open source)and it will deal with the points and instances as usual.
419 posts
juancarlosgzrz
That's not true, I did use read_alembic, and it need to be set up specially for maya, if not it won't load. Once you've managed to load the alembic and its points, it will be useless because Vray and Redshift won't render the instances, only Arnold does it. So, don't bother and don't waste time, use Blender (free and open source)and it will deal with the points and instances as usual.

That has nothing to do with BF, the render engines need to support it. And Actually, you can use Vray inside BF through USD nowadays.
  • Quick Links