HDK installation problems under Linux

10264   12   1
325 posts
Greetings, magicians,

I’m trying to install HDK for Linux. It seems that I’ve got gcc (4.1) working and HDK installed, still here’s what I get when I try to compile a sample file:

Samples/SOP> hcustom SOP_Star.C

/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.1.0/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so when searching for –lX11
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.1.0/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a when searching for –lX11
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.1.0/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find –lX11 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

===================================
My specs are:
Houdini 8.1.265 (if I am not mistaken)
Suse 10.1 OE (x86_64)
Gcc 4.1, KDE 3.5.1
AMD64 4600X2
nVidia GeForce 7800GTX

Is there something I can do to sort things out?
Thanks.
I liked the Mustang
166 posts
Quick answer so I may be wrong, but is the HDK supports GCC 4.1?
You may have to downgrade your GCC maybe 3.2 or 3.4…
Time to get out of this messy world.
325 posts
Or maybe another idea - does the latest Houdini\HDK distro support gcc 4.1? Jeff? Anyone? Maybe it'd be easier to download the latest Houdini?

zzz
I liked the Mustang
176 posts
I think there is some other kind of a problem.
It looks for a libraries only in /usr/X11R6/lib/, but on 64bit SuSE there 32bit libraries are.
So you should try to tell it to search for them in /usr/X11R6/lib64/ somehow…
P.S. I think gcc 4.1 would work if you solve the problem above (i haven't tried, however)
325 posts
Thanks mlesin,

your suggestion worked, well, at least partially -

I’ve edited the hcustom file and changed X11R6/lib to X11R6/lib64, now the *.C files get compiled but the dso’s don’t link – here’s the output:

opt/hfs8.1.625rh> houdini
Houdini DSO – error on ‘/home/madjestic/houdini8.1/dso/SOP_Star.so’
/home/madjestic/houdini8.1/dso/SOP_Star.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

==============================
- The sollution seems close, hmm… What should I do with this Elfish class now?
I liked the Mustang
176 posts
You've compiled 64bit plugin. Are you sure you trying to load it into 64bit version of houdini?
325 posts
mlesin
You've compiled 64bit plugin. Are you sure you trying to load it into 64bit version of houdini?

Sorry for not clarifying this from the beginning - actually I use Linux i686 gcc3.2 - a 32bit compile of Houdini, though I use Open Suse 10.1 x86_64 - I am totally happy with the way it runs 32bit apps and 32bit Houdini - Now I am trying to compile, obviously, a 32bit plugin for a 32bit Houdini – Could the problem be that gcc is trying to use 32bit something instead of 64bit or vice versa?

Or maybe gcc was trying to do everything in 64bit mode, while hcustom was adressing some of the 32bit libraries and that was the issue?
I liked the Mustang
519 posts
Madjestic,

if you compile for houdini 32bit you should use the 32bit libs and headers of X11 and others. On Linux these can generally be found in /usr/lib and /usr/X11/lib. Mlesin got the right solution for you but you should have changed the hdk settigns file to the 32bit directories. I think you also should tell gcc to use 32bit compiling. I think you use the -m32 option for that.

Good luck!
176 posts
Then you should set library folder back to X11R6/lib and set -m32 option for the compiler, as Pagefan said.
325 posts
Thanks, guys,

I feel it is really close now – just a small question –
What file(s?) should I edit to change the hdk/compiler settings – just the hcustom or some others as well? I’ll try to figure this out, but if you can tell this from the top of the head – I’ll appreciate this.
I liked the Mustang
325 posts
Ok, I’ve edited hcustom again and added the ‘-m32’ flag –

If(“$GCCMAJORVER” >= “3”) then
set CCFAGS=”$CCFLAGS –DGCC3 –m32 –Wno-depricated”

This time I get the following errors:

/tmp/ccSszCjk.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccSszCjk.s:17: Error: suffix or operands invalid for ‘push’
/tmp/ccSszCjk.s:22: Error: 8-byte relocation cannot be applied to 4-byte field
/tmp/ccSszCjk.s:24: Error: suffix or operands invalid for ‘pop’

What could be done with this?
I know that SESI is preoccupied with H9 right now - but maybe somebody is lucky to have an hcustom version that will work with x86_64 Suse and compile a nice enough 32bit dso's? :?
I liked the Mustang
519 posts
Couldn't this be a bug in your code MADjestic? It's hard to tell if this is a problem of HDK, your setup of HDK or a problem with gcc/linux aka SuSE. I haven't installed the hdk but i could try and test it with houdini in 64bit and 32bit. That is, if you can share your code…dunno if it is some very secret stuff for some incredible sfx.
325 posts
Oh, pagefan - there's no secret, really - I am trying to compile the basic sample hdk codes for now - just to be sure that everything is set up all right. I use standard set up - i.e. I follow standard set up procedures - install houdini, install hdk, make sure that gcc is installed - then I use hcustom SOP_Star.C for example - it doesn't make sense to try any cutom code before making sure that sample code works, right?

For now I came to a temporary solution - I use Houdini 64bit compile (that is meant tobe used with Debian64, according to SESI) under Open SuSe x86_64 - the sample codes compiles fine, but the stability of Houdini64 leaves much to be desired, maybe I should try the latest Houdini build. I'll keep you informed, if I am at any success.

If you find out anythng about my problem, on the other hand, please let me know. Or maybe somebody from Sesi will reply.

Thanks.
I liked the Mustang
  • Quick Links