POP Disk Cache

11970   10   1
158 posts
How can I create a particle disk cache?
Edited by - Aug. 17, 2006 14:42:45
557 posts
You can't, directly. But you can fake it using DOPs. The attached shows how. The only thing in the DOPs network that is not at the default is the location of the particle system. Then you play out (compute) the DOPs simulation, and it is cached up for you in RAM, and you can scrub it back and forth.

Attachments:
cachePOPs.hip (68.7 KB)

158 posts
craig
You can't, directly. But you can fake it using DOPs. The attached shows how. The only thing in the DOPs network that is not at the default is the location of the particle system. Then you play out (compute) the DOPs simulation, and it is cached up for you in RAM, and you can scrub it back and forth.

What about a cache on the hard disk?
311 posts
append a ROP SOP and write to disk as a .bgeo sequnce which you can then read in using a file SOP.

Of course if you're in apprentice you might be screwed.
158 posts
jesta
append a ROP SOP and write to disk as a .bgeo sequnce which you can then read in using a file SOP.

But what if I want to resume a particle simulation after Houdini crashed 10 frames before the last frame? How can I resume a simulation from a .bgeo file sequence?
4140 posts
Nope, the bgeo's are simply the result of the simulation. If you think about it, that would require storing the entire *state* of the simulation every frame. You think you'd want that sort of disk activity every time you cook a sim? You'd be screaming bloody murder at the frame rates.

J.C.
John Coldrick
158 posts
JColdrick
Nope, the bgeo's are simply the result of the simulation. If you think about it, that would require storing the entire *state* of the simulation every frame. You think you'd want that sort of disk activity every time you cook a sim? You'd be screaming bloody murder at the frame rates.

J.C.

Why? It does work well in RealFlow and Maya!
There's no hack around it without writing an own cache node?
4140 posts
Oh frack, nvr mind, Wolf got it…I didn't pick up on the fact that the bgeos are being saved out in this case.

go back to bed, Jim…

J.C.
Edited by - Aug. 20, 2006 08:37:36
John Coldrick
4262 posts
sascha
jesta

But what if I want to resume a particle simulation after Houdini crashed 10 frames before the last frame? How can I resume a simulation from a .bgeo file sequence?

Take the last frame of your simulation and set that to be the Inital State of your POP Network. (The parameter is on the POP Network node itself.) Also you'll need to set the start time parameter to correspond with the last saved out bgeo.

If you are going to be caching out the POP and then loading it up mid way through it might be easier to save out the geometry using FILENAME.$T.bgeo instead of $F. That way you know the exact time.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
4262 posts
JColdrick
Oh frack, nvr mind, Wolf got it…
go back to bed, Jim…
J.C.

Frack indeed….the reason that I'm up is because I've been watching the entire BSG series for the last 14 hours straight. *twitch*

I'm only going to be able *twitch* to model Cylon raiders for the next week and a half.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
4140 posts
By your command…

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links