Align a pivot to a face

7649   9   2
158 posts
How can I snap/align a pivot to a face?
2199 posts
Detach the handle, then right click on it and use start orientation picking - then pick 3 points.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
158 posts
Simon
Detach the handle, then right click on it and use start orientation picking - then pick 3 points.

But that does not affect the rotation of the pivot? I need to align the rotation of the pivot to the normal of a face or an edge.
4262 posts
Instead of 3 points try selecting two edges which will define a plane.

Or you could transform the construction plane around, then align the handle to that.
Edited by - Aug. 14, 2006 15:34:01
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
311 posts
sascha
But that does not affect the rotation of the pivot? I need to align the rotation of the pivot to the normal of a face or an edge.

as far as i can see it does. I just tried it on a simple polygon and it seemed to work fine.

Jerry
7722 posts
A simpler way this days might be to snap to primitive and turn on Orient on snap in the Snap Options.
158 posts
Both methods are working but after performing them the pivot doesn't stay at the centroid where it was before. Can I bring it back? Or can I just snap or orient the rotation?
311 posts
does it really matter that the pivot isn't centred on the face if it essentially does what it is supposed to?

It's a matter of aesthetics over function.
158 posts
jesta
does it really matter that the pivot isn't centred on the face if it essentially does what it is supposed to?

It's a matter of aesthetics over function.

It does matter. Not for translation but for rotation. It's a difference if the center for the rotation handle is on a boundary vertex or in the center of gravity for example.
Edited by - Aug. 17, 2006 13:54:37
311 posts
i take your point.

hmm there doesn't seem to be a solution to that as far as i can see. you could do it manually with the transform jack disconnected, but that's not ideal. you'd need to align the construction plane to the polyface and then orient the transform handles. it's a PITA i know. I'm sure SESI will get round to making it better.
  • Quick Links