Separation of different submeshes

2947   9   1
14 posts
I've been playing around with houdini for about a week or so and I like it's type of workflow, but I've been trying to do different things with meshes I've made previously for fun in my spare time. One thing I've been trying to do is separate the different submeshes using the connectivity node and partition node based on some forum posts I've found. However they just delete the whole thing once I add the delete node. Not to mention afterwards I'm not exactly sure on how to actually have different geometry nodes containing these different submeshes. Any advice on how to go about this?

The other posts I saw said to put the connectivity node down and put obj_$CLASS in the attribute box, then use that same name in the rule box for the partition node and that did nothing. Another post I saw said to just leave the connectivity default class attribute and put obj_'@CLASS' in the partition. Honestly I'm just kind of confused here on what these mean or what they do in particular.
14 posts
No one have any information on this?
Staff
3455 posts
try this

Attachments:
submesh.0.hip (74.5 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
14 posts
Thanks for the response. It seems missed a detail in my original post. The mesh in question was made in a different program that I'm trying to manipulate (I pretty much just wanted to destroy it with destruction). The mesh imports as a file type node. But in the other program it was separated into different submeshes. Is there a way to separate those into different meshes to be used individually in the network in other spots?
130 posts
Hey Buddy,
If Im understanding your question properly, I think Objectmerge SOP is what you need.

Please check the attached hip file

Attachments:
objectMerge.hip (691.0 KB)

Mohan Pugaz
movfx
https://www.instagram.com/movfx/ [www.instagram.com]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/@_movfx
14 posts
Mohanpugaz
Hey Buddy,
If Im understanding your question properly, I think Objectmerge SOP is what you need.

Please check the attached hip file

Objectmerge SOP was exactly what I needed. I wasn't aware that a null would actually copy the pieces to be used for that purpose. For some reason the mesh I'm using doesn't like to work with the connectivity node, but any other test piece I do will work fine with what you had did. I just need to figure out why my mesh won't find connected pieces like others do. Maybe it's because it was triangulated in a different 3D program, but all of the verticies are connected I would think.
Staff
3455 posts
can you post an example mesh that give you problems?
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
14 posts
Here is some attachment files of an example mesh that I made based on a similar setup for an inner and outer wall kind of thing.
Edited by dragon3582 - July 29, 2019 20:17:37

Attachments:
testfile.hipnc (73.5 KB)
test.fbx (31.2 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
that test.fbx works just fine - there are 8 pieces
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
14 posts
I think I realized what I was doing. The connectivity node gets pieces that are connected, but counts them different even if it's in the same group (I thought connectivity was related to groups). So because I have two groups, each of which have different disconnected pieces, it comes out to multiple classes. I just needed the two groups as separate meshes and I was going about it probably the wrong way. Different meshes with disconnected pieces I can just bypass the connectivity node and blast the pieces into separate groups right then and there and output to a null. Then inside the separate geometry with an objectmergeSOP I can use the connectivity to further separate them if I needed to. I guess I had misunderstood what connectivity and partition was doing, though I'm still not sure how those two nodes work together, I found a way to go through the mesh I had to separate them as I needed them to.
  • Quick Links