Transform handle alignment, quick way?

2507   8   2
46 posts
Hey there!
I'm looking for a fast method to align Transform Handles.
I know only two ways.
One is with “M” key that is cycling through different modes from “object” to “component”.
And another is using right click.
Both methods are unfortunately a bit long for fast editing.

I wonder if there is a quicker way with hotkeys or radial menus maybe where I just set for desired axis alignment.
Maybe python scripting?

Any hints much appreciated.

Thanks!
104 posts
Python, yes, but not as a fast trick. You will have to dig into it and learn scripting, python states, etc and possible pack your own transform hda (or are you thinking of the edit sop? The same). To me, this video was an eye opener https://youtu.be/nS4FSMEas-I [youtu.be] but since you think that pressing M takes too much of your time for the fast editing, maybe your time will be well spent in learning python, since python is the place to go in optimizing ones workflows and user interfaces.
46 posts
Thanks for reply Drasko,
I'm thinking of any sops that utilize transform handles: edit, transform etc.
I sort of do scripting in python not on professional level but feel comfortable enough for these sort of tasks. I just haven't found relevant HOM documentation.
I'd really appreciate If you could point me out where to dig in to find more on the subject.
Edited by mikhail s - Nov. 3, 2020 05:59:39
104 posts
Difficult to answer where to point you, but there are many python in houdini tutorials out there, free and commercial ones. The new python state, after you check the Paul's stream, Jeff Wagner is covering a lot about in one of his masterclasses (sorry, no time to dig links) when they released the states, etc. Just now in the last masterclass Wagner is covering ten new stuff in 18.5, he demonstrates some user interface, as I understood, for the handles authoring/adding, but I am too busy to start to dig into it. You will benefit most if you do your own research, then you can go trough a lot of scenarios and find exactly what you need.
46 posts
When you said:
Drasko Ivezic
Python, yes, but not as a fast trick.
I assumed you knew the answer. If not it’s okay i’ll keep looking.
Yeah i’m aware of those video tutorials existence. It’s many hours of great material. Need to find time to watch all of these…
76 posts
hey mikhail, did you succeed in making something workable for this? I'm looking for a solution to this problem too, so please share if you have something.
7722 posts
If you're trying to align handles to geometry, there's also the “align state” see: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/model/aids.html#align [www.sidefx.com]
46 posts
citizen
hey mikhail, did you succeed in making something workable for this? I'm looking for a solution to this problem too, so please share if you have something.

Hey citizen,
No I didn't. I made a RFE for this option , in a meantime I'm just trying to train myself how many times I have to press “M” button to switch from World to Component mode and vise versa.

citizen
If you're trying to align handles to geometry, there's also the “align state” see

I'm actually trying to be able to directly choose the align mode I need rather than cycling with “M” hotkey.
While modeling I do it constantly so would be nice to have it.

Btw I recently knew about extremely useful feature by accident that is hidden
It's called “Volatile Handle-Geometry Detached Mode” in Hotkey editor, it aligns handle to selected component on the fly while holding a hotkey.
10 posts
Btw I recently knew about extremely useful feature by accident that is hidden
It's called “Volatile Handle-Geometry Detached Mode” in Hotkey editor, it aligns handle to selected component on the fly while holding a hotkey.

Is this still working in 18.5 ? Do you need to anything besides just assigning the hotkey ?
  • Quick Links