Revolve, Subdivision and Front view selection problems

2733   12   2
4 posts
Hi I am new to Houdini watching tutorials.
Now I ahve been following this Tutorial [www.sidefx.com]

Doing a wine glass buy drawing a curve -> revolve -> Crease -> subdivide.

My issue is I do everything the same but my glass does not get clean division like the video!

What am I doing wrong?!!
This is the result of my glass

The other problem is I try to make a selection in the front view to select all the faces uniformly.
But it seems I pressed something and now selects half the faces, it ignores the far end faces.

I tried the Shift + v. That is not it.

It is driving me crazy :P

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (1.6 MB)
Division.PNG (1.7 MB)

340 posts
There are several changes with the new curve tool that might be a factor. Attached is a file where you can remove or keep the crease node and you will see it subdivides fine. (I added some blast and polycap nodes to avoid triangles though) There are a few checkboxes and output specifications in the revolve node that need to be used to make it work. Personally, I would omit the crease node. Regarding the front view selection, do you have the eye icon turned on when you are selecting?

One thing that was not obvious in a quick look at the tutorial is that he built the wine glass curve using polygon mode. The curve tool defaults to bezier, and for your purposes, I would change it to polygon (the way curves used to work).
Edited by Island - Jan. 19, 2022 22:22:52

Attachments:
RevolveCurve.jpg (188.3 KB)
RevolveCurve.hiplc (170.7 KB)

4 posts
Hello Island!

I tried again to make it without crease and it still had those weird gathered edges on every curve point. Re-reading your post this:

""One thing that was not obvious in a quick look at the tutorial is that he built the wine glass curve using polygon mode. The curve tool defaults to bezier, and for your purposes, I would change it to polygon (the way curves used to work)."", doing this it made the model how it was supposed to be.

I did it bezier and going back changing it to poly doesn't work. Had to set the curve to poly before starting drawing. That helped smooth it better.
The revolve had so few options than yours. By making it polygon, it has the same option as your file. Was one thing I was asking my self why.

And thank you alot for taking the time of make it your self and even send me the file of it.
It helped see how you worked around it as well. Only thing is I do not understand why and where did you use the 'Fuse' node for?

Following the tutorial exactly, and things turn different or not work as they are supposed to is so frustrating. I did the same step 7 times, even fiddled with the settings to get it right and didn't work.
Your simple curve change was the solution.

Regarding he faces in front view, they eye, I did turn it off and on to try it before. It did nothing. But seems to work now after reinstalling the software.

Again thank you!

Had another problem with the RBD Convex Proxy not being able to select my geometry. Worked and completed the tutorial.
Cheers

Attachments:
Good.PNG (1.7 MB)

340 posts
I'm glad you got it working. Creating a curve in bezier mode and trying to convert that to polygons generally will just be frustrating, as you found. You can do it, but you will need to go through a delete the bezier handle points, and that takes longer than recreating the curve from scratch in polygon mode.

Regarding the fuse node. When one revolves around the y axis with a point on the y axis, you actually will get multiple overlapping points there. It is messy, so I fuse them together. You can see the issue if you look at the bottom center point with point numbers turned on. Before the fuse, it is a mess. After the fuse, it is one point. I think I deleted out the triangles anyway later, so it probably doesn't matter. Personally I think it good practice to make an all quad model, so I remove ngons and triangles. That is why the blast and polyfill nodes. See attached for issue with overlapping points.
Edited by Island - Jan. 20, 2022 22:06:33

Attachments:
Fuse.jpg (187.7 KB)

331 posts
You can draw out your curve as Bezier, and then drop a Convert node after it to properly convert it to polygons. No other steps are needed.
340 posts
You can add a convert node, but you will have a lot less control of topology. It you want to avoid ngons and tris, I would do proper polygon modeling and subdivisions. There are cases like recreating fonts where converting Bézier curves and resampling is helpful.
331 posts
Island
You can add a convert node, but you will have a lot less control of topology. It you want to avoid ngons and tris, I would do proper polygon modeling and subdivisions. There are cases like recreating fonts where converting Bézier curves and resampling is helpful.
Using a Convert here will not create any ngons or tris. It's a simple Revolve, and you can control the steps of the curve either on the Convert or by dropping down another Resample after the Convert.

Edited by eikonoklastes - Jan. 21, 2022 09:25:14
331 posts
If anything, you get more control over your curve directly, thanks to the excellent round corner tools built into it, which obviates the need of any extra bevels down the line.

4 posts
@Island Oh I see what Fuse is for now. That is handy.
And yes in the file you deleted and polyfilled that and made extrudes too to give it shape.

Thank you both for discussing this
Pointing out the differences and what both bezier and polygon can be used for curves.
Quite insightful!

340 posts
If you look at Draog's first model, you see the issue using a Bézier curve for straight lines. They are basically very short Bézier and give three almost overlapped points, which give ugly creases. It is true that you can use actual Bézier curves to generate a bevel type segment, but I find it is easier just to add my own points with straight segments if one plans to add a later subdivision node. I use Bézier all the time in illustrator, but generally retopo illustrator figures rather than deal with the mess that comes from direct imports. It is easier with retopo to make sure the points are such that subdivision doesn't cause it to blow up. I actually use nurbs curves more than Bézier as they are more useful in CAD programs.
Edited by Island - Jan. 21, 2022 21:29:23
331 posts
Island
If you look at Draog's first model, you see the issue using a Bézier curve for straight lines. They are basically very short Bézier and give three almost overlapped points, which give ugly creases.
I think you are likely talking about changing the curve type to Polygon after initially creating it as Bezier. To clarify, that's not what I am talking about, and that's not a good workflow, since it creates undesirable curves.

You can create very short segments with the Curve tool set to Bezier, and still get very efficient point counts.
Edited by eikonoklastes - Jan. 22, 2022 01:47:14
4 posts
celalsur
I Had problem with the RBD Convex Proxy not being able to select my geometry.
@Celalsur

Hey man, I had that issue too at first because I made the Glass with curve bezier.
Once I followed @Island's advice on creating the Glass with the Curve as Polygon, the RBD Convex Proxy worked as well.

So redo the Glass from the beginning and when you select Curve tool, select "Polygon" as Primitive Type option.
Do your glass follow through and the RBD Proxy should probably work if this is the issue.

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (993.0 KB)

1 posts
I use <<resample>> node after curve node ,then use <<revolve>> node.
  • Quick Links