creating nodes with a wacom

2391   6   1
17 posts
I'm having difficulty creating nodes in the node graph with a wacom - when I drag a connection line and then tab, the menu will either disappear or I'll be in a category like eg. heightfields so when I start typing eg. "m-e-r-g..." it doesn't work. Similarly if I click-drag on a node output and hit tab, the menu just blinks off with the wacom. I've got the bottom button mapped to mmb, the top to rmb.

I keep reaching for the mouse, but I'd really like not too (my forearm hurts). Anyone know of a workaround or fix?

Thanks!
683 posts
Hey alnh,

I use a wacom to work with Houdini everyday and never encountered such problems. Have you enabled Windows Freehand? You should disable it in the wacom settings.

Cheers
CYTE
1745 posts
Yeah I just tested, its fine here. Windows 10, Intuos Pro.

Check you have windows ink turned off, all the other wacom crap the default setup tries to run, disable it.

Why wacom can't get the basics right after all these years... ugh...
Edited by mestela - March 9, 2022 03:48:43
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
17 posts
Thanks for the replies - and confirmation that this will work! Ok I think its the way I'm lifting the pen. Im maybe dragging it a tiny amount as I lift. If I focus on lifting it straight up, it works a lot better. But I have to really focus on it atm and the menu still blinks off often - as soon as I lift the pen after hitting tab. I think you guys must have less shaky hands than I do! . Time to practice lifting the pen without moving it to the side!
Edited by alnh - March 10, 2022 21:04:54
122 posts
Maybe this is similar to some issues I had before I changed the pen to only register while actually pressing down on the tablet.

This was especially noticeable when adjusting values using the middle mouse menu over a parameter. I would press the middle mouse key on my pen with my pen floating above the tablet. When I would let go off the middle mouse button I would slightly change the position of the pen and screw up the changes I made.

I changed my tablet to only register clicks when the pen is actually touching the tablet. (The default setting is called Hover click I believe)

When it’s touching it, I’m less likely to change the position when letting go of the button. (Or from my hands shaking)

It takes some time getting used to this behavior especially when you’re used to navigate while the pen is in the air. But now it’s more convenient for me. Unfortunately, this setting is global and not app specific.
Edited by No_ha - March 11, 2022 04:53:21
4528 posts
mestela
Yeah I just tested, its fine here. Windows 10, Intuos Pro.

Check you have windows ink turned off, all the other wacom crap the default setup tries to run, disable it.

Why wacom can't get the basics right after all these years... ugh...

I always thought it's Windows forcing these "features" down people's throats, after all these years
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
17 posts
I also notice that the when adjusting values with the mmb/ladder with the wacom the value will sometimes jump. I did try changing the pen mode from hover and it may help with the ladder, but I don't think that it helps with the making nodes issue here for me.

I'm on linux at work and mac at home and they're exactly the same. I'm also working at home on my mac and connecting through pcoip. (I don't know how I forgot to mention all that in my original question! :S) And I'm wondering now if since the issue and feel is exactly the same on my mac in houdini as it is at work - the functioning of the wacom in houdini may be a bit different on the mac??
Edited by alnh - March 11, 2022 13:01:08
  • Quick Links