For each copytopoints SOP setup to LOPS

2232   6   1
17 posts
Hi everyone , im testing different setups that i use in SOP to make scatters.
And many of them work fine on solaris, but I'm going crazy with this:
I am not a solaris expert.
Does anyone know how I can do this on Solaris?

I know there is a foreach in solaris but its different than sop one , and i dont know if you can use a spare input from a sop node , to affect the instances...
if anyone can help me , im getting crazy .
here is a hip file with the sop setup i want to build in solaris.

thank for all !!
cheers

sorry , i have a mistake in de TEST_instancing_in_solaris_v001.hiplc file
in the copy to points i forget check (pack and instance)
fixed in v003
Edited by Jackatack - Dec. 14, 2022 16:54:02

Attachments:
2.PNG (45.6 KB)
1.PNG (787.9 KB)
TEST_instancing_in_solaris_v003.hiplc (459.3 KB)

I love node based world

Learning and Playing houdini
7784 posts
Jackatack
Hi everyone , im testing different setups that i use in SOP to make scatters.
And many of them work fine on solaris, but I'm going crazy with this:
I am not a solaris expert.
Does anyone know how I can do this on Solaris?

I know there is a foreach in solaris but its different than sop one , and i dont know if you can use a spare input from a sop node , to affect the instances...
if anyone can help me , im getting crazy .
here is a hip file with the sop setup i want to build in solaris.

thank for all !!
cheers

If you have an animation, you could offset the animation on instances with retime instances. It will create a new prototype for each offset. These bent meshes are not really instances, so there's no reason to modify instances to create them. Just use the sop network and import the whole collection of meshes into Solaris.
17 posts
jsmack
If you have an animation, you could offset the animation on instances with retime instances. It will create a new prototype for each offset. These bent meshes are not really instances, so there's no reason to modify instances to create them. Just use the sop network and import the whole collection of meshes into Solaris.
thanks for the answer,
but i dont understand why not to do that in solaris instancing.

ok i did an error in the hip file , i forgot to activate "pack and instance" in copy to points , so yes , i need a instance setup in solaris .EDIT

If i have an asset of a tree in solaris, and i want to scatter it in a grid, and i want to have a random rotation for each point, i can add a random rotation attribute on the scatter points inside a instancer solaris node and the instancer works fine.

what if i want to affect the "bend" value of the bend node to have different bends values in each scatter point?

i know how to add attributes to scatter points to affect instances but i dont know how to affect a sop node to "bend" the trees with different values for each point.
i try to use a sop modify to add blend node and try to use a spare input to change the value on each point of the scatter points , but it didn´t work. I need a "for each point", but solaris "for each" works different.
Im reading documentation and shearching for any help .

sorry if im not explaining right and thanks for the answers
Edited by Jackatack - Dec. 14, 2022 16:57:04

Attachments:
TEST_instancing_in_solaris_v003.hiplc (459.3 KB)

I love node based world

7784 posts
Jackatack
thanks for the answer,
but i dont understand why not to do that in solaris instancing.

The answer is that there is no instancing. The bend makes all the copies unique. 'pack and instance' will do nothing but use more memory and make it slower in this case.
17 posts
jsmack
The answer is that there is no instancing. The bend makes all the copies unique. 'pack and instance' will do nothing but use more memory and make it slower in this case.
ah ok i understand!!! i dont know why i thought that bending geo maintaing the instance .
its logic thing

sorry for the mistake hahaha.
and thanks!!!
I love node based world

7784 posts
Jackatack
jsmack
ah ok i understand!!! i dont know why i thought that bending geo maintaing the instance .
its logic thing

sorry for the mistake hahaha.
and thanks!!!

There is a way to have a bit of both though. if you have some limited number of possible 'bend' values, and apply them to the mesh as prototypes, then the instancing workflow can still be used.

There's probably several different ways to do this, but it's a little more complicated than a single for loop like your example. I would also use a different method depending on if the asset had to come from an existing USD asset.
8565 posts
There can technically still be partial instancing even with all unique bends
Since all instances can share the base mesh prototype, just alter the positions and normals primvars as unique overrides, which is much lighter than each prototype being completely unique mesh

Could be possible using Edit Prototypes LOP perhaps?
Edited by tamte - Dec. 17, 2022 05:57:58
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links