Texture Projections from camera

1606   5   2
51 posts
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to create texture projections from camera. Onto existing USD asset. I have some scorch marks that I need to project, but can't find anything in the docs on how to do this with Karma and MaterialX.

Any suggestions?

regards
stefan
CG Supervisor - Important Looking Pirates
http://www.ilpvfx.com/ [www.ilpvfx.com]
11 posts
I've been trying to get this to work recently.
I've figured out the camera frustum projection using regular MaterialX nodes, and it's working in a UE5 material, so I'm < fairly > sure it'll work here, too.

Requires feeding in the camera vectors (FWD, RIGHT, UP), which I haven't figured out how to do automatically from a camera in the scene. This might make the workflow pretty irritating.

.hip of my current progress is attached if it helps

Attachments:
MaterialX_Camproj_WIP.hip (220.2 KB)

7770 posts
I was going to say use a coordsys, but it's too buggy in its current implementation to recommend.

I've attached a scene demonstrating their use, but the way transforms are concatenated seems to be broken.

Attachments:
karma_mtlx_coordsys_projection.hip (459.0 KB)

51 posts
Thank you! It works, though a bit hacky. I hope that h20 will come with a node ( or combo of nodes ) which this is implemented.

all the best!
stefan
CG Supervisor - Important Looking Pirates
http://www.ilpvfx.com/ [www.ilpvfx.com]
7770 posts
StefanA
Thank you! It works, though a bit hacky. I hope that h20 will come with a node ( or combo of nodes ) which this is implemented.

all the best!
stefan

19.5 is when they added it. I made a mistake in my setup when using a camera projection that I thought was a bug. The space needs to be specified as space_name:ndc for a perspective camera projection.
8551 posts
there is also SimpleCoordSys example file that ships with Houdini
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links