Solaris opacity map XPU

1932   10   1
15 posts
Hello,
I have 3d models of grass from Megascans. I set-up materials using MaterialX. And when I rendering it on CPU, but rendering very-very-very slow (ETA for 720x960 50minutes), result is good but to get good quliaty I need to wait forever , so I decided switch to XPU, but for some reasons XPU looks like it has no shadows
. SO this is the problem in some settings or current limitation of XPU, can it be somehow solved?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-06-14 132704.png (392.1 KB)
Screenshot 2023-06-14 132813.png (231.8 KB)

Staff
469 posts
could you post a simple scene demonstrating the issue?
thanks
15 posts
brians
could you post a simple scene demonstrating the issue?
thanks
Sure

Attachments:
SEND.zip (7.7 MB)

Staff
469 posts
It seems to be the mipmapping on the opacity texture which is causing the issue.
Because presumably, grass is very small geometry, meaning the UV-derivative code is calculating some pretty extreme values.

KarmaCPU and KarmaXPU calculate mipmapping slightly differently, which is why you're seeing a difference.

You could try disabling XPU mipmapping altogether?
ie
export KARMA_XPU_DISABLE_MIPMAPS=1

Attachments:
disable_mipmaps.PNG (1.5 MB)

15 posts
brians
It seems to be the mipmapping on the opacity texture which is causing the issue.
Because presumably, grass is very small geometry, meaning the UV-derivative code is calculating some pretty extreme values.

KarmaCPU and KarmaXPU calculate mipmapping slightly differently, which is why you're seeing a difference.

ie

Image Not Found
Thanks. export KARMA_XPU_DISABLE_MIPMAPS=1 it can be done in wrangle in Solaris? and can be done only for specidic materials? or global for all scenes?
7771 posts
Hyperreal-Studios
Thanks. export KARMA_XPU_DISABLE_MIPMAPS=1 it can be done in wrangle in Solaris? and can be done only for specidic materials? or global for all scenes?

you run it in the command line shell you use to launch Houdini. It's an environment variable and therefore global to the application.
7771 posts
brians

ie

Image Not Found

Would using an image format that doesn't already have mipmaps, e.g. png exr tif, as opposed to rat or exr with mipmaps, also effectively disable mipmapping since the mip levels don't exist? Does XPU automatically generate mipmaps for all images?
15 posts
jsmack
on windows? for launching Houdini I use shortcut on start menu
Edited by Hyperreal-Studios - June 16, 2023 15:45:10
127 posts
You can set it global on the machine to.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/machine-learning/oml4r/1.5.1/oread/creating-and-modifying-environment-variables-on-windows.html [docs.oracle.com]
Staff
469 posts
jsmack
Would using an image format that doesn't already have mipmaps, e.g. png exr tif, as opposed to rat or exr with mipmaps, also effectively disable mipmapping since the mip levels don't exist? Does XPU automatically generate mipmaps for all images?

At the moment XPU does automatically generate mipmaps for all images (even if they don't exist in the file).

But that will probably change in the next version of Houdini (that area is being actively worked on). The goal is to have it behave more similarly to whatever KarmaCPU does.
49 posts
Hyperreal-Studios
on windows? for launching Houdini I use shortcut on start menu

In case you're still wondering: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/basics/config_env.html#setting-environment-variables [www.sidefx.com]

So, it will be at this location (if you want to set it permanently i.e Houdini will launch with this setting every time):
C:\Users\<YOUR_USER>\Documents\houdini<VERSION OF HOUDINI>\houdini.env

List of all Houdini environment variables: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/ref/env.html [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by AnimGraphLab - Dec. 31, 2023 02:25:56
3D Generalist. Transforming 2D images to 3D animations.
Socials: https://linktr.ee/AnimGraphLab [linktr.ee]
  • Quick Links