Vex or phython first?

1144   4   1
3 posts
Hi everyone
I recently started learning houdini for fx

I was wondering if I should start learning vex first or python first?

Mostly I will be working with points and particles
To create abstract effects dynamic effects and sims (vortex, destruction, lightning . explosion. Etc )

Thanks in advance for your help
636 posts
When you do manipulations on points, primitives then you use VEX or VOP.
When you want to import data,special UI, tooling then you use python.

If you want to master houdini you will learn anyway both. For the start you need to understand the basic's and use some expressions that is the hardest part as a new user.

My brother started 2 months ago to use houdini as a indie artist. 1 month was a hard time for him, 2 month he understands the houdini way and likes it more and more.
He used before cinema4d and maya and knows programming in these months the most complex VEX was a 2 liner.
He has done 2 customer projects and new projects will be done in houdini.
I helped him alot at the start and now just when there is a problem that he can't solve.

Good luck!
208 posts
They're very different things.

But you should learn what expressions (can be both in HScript or in Python, but HScript is more common) are first. Then Vex.

Python is more about customizing Houdini itself.
Edited by kodra - July 6, 2023 09:17:23
4515 posts
VEX is extremely useful when you want to work with points, particles, dynamic simulations, etc. It's sort of a wild card in Houdini IMO.

Python rarely comes up unless you are creating Qt based tools or working on pipeline.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
3 posts
Awesome
vex it is

Thanx everyone ☺️
  • Quick Links