Save deforming mesh to USD

1020   4   6
88 posts
Hello,

I watched the Solaris Tutorial series from Peter Acara on Youtube, so now I am trying to import my own deforming mesh to Solaris and save it to USD. The first step works well, I used the component builder to import a moving toy.

The toy moves as expected with Display flag on the component output.
But when I save it with usdrop the animation has vanished and the mesh stays on the first frame. In the resulting files there is no timesamples related property except vector3f extentsHint.timeSamples (which is a kind of bounding box I guess) in the master file. Shouldn't the data for all the moving points be inside of geo.usda?

In this tutorial [youtu.be] Peter only explains the saving of animated geometry which is not deforming itself. So do I need another way here to save all the data?

I hope you can help me here, thanks in advance!

Attachments:
import_deforming_mesh.jpg (25.2 KB)

=================
Intel core i7 6700K
AMD Radeon RX 580
Staff
451 posts
Can you share a hip file?
88 posts
of course, I also added the cache, so you can check the deforming.

Google Drive [drive.google.com]
=================
Intel core i7 6700K
AMD Radeon RX 580
Staff
4168 posts
I would recommend trying to use Component Builder to just make static asses, then sop import the animation to overlay the movement/deformations. I meant to have an example ready, but time's been getting away from me. I will try to circle-back with an example hip file shortly, but I wanted to at least share those thoughts, in case they're helpful ideas.

It might also be the case here, that just using Scene Import, if you're doing a lot of elaborate work in /obj, would be the simplest route.

But I'll try and get an example of the first setup as soon as I can.
I'm o.d.d.
1 posts
goldleaf
I would recommend trying to use Component Builder to just make static asses, then sop import the animation to overlay the movement/deformations. I meant to have an example ready, but time's been getting away from me. I will try to circle-back with an example hip file shortly, but I wanted to at least share those thoughts, in case they're helpful ideas.

It might also be the case here, that just using Scene Import, if you're doing a lot of elaborate work in /obj, would be the simplest route.

But I'll try and get an example of the first setup as soon as I can.

I hope you find time to put together an example hip file shortly, it will be so helpful to my current project. Thank you.
  • Quick Links