Creating .rat files next to textures

1452   13   2
67 posts
Hello
Where I can find some information about this behaviour? Houdini is creating .rat copies of my textures and I'm assuming its because of aces but still. I would like more information about this and there is nothing in docuemntation. I've created image node in material with vector signature to use on normal map, and still it created copy of this texture.
7770 posts
It has nothing to do with color management. XPU now behaves as if texture cache is enabled.

Karma XPU will now behave as if HOUDINI_TEXTURE_DISK_CACHE is enabled in all cases. This will automatically create optimized versions of texture maps for rendering.

Sat. October 7, 2023

I'm not sure where it is in the docs, but this is in the change logs
Edited by jsmack - Nov. 14, 2023 12:01:09
67 posts
jsmack
It has nothing to do with color management. XPU now behaves as if texture cache is enabled.

Karma XPU will now behave as if HOUDINI_TEXTURE_DISK_CACHE is enabled in all cases. This will automatically create optimized versions of texture maps for rendering.

Sat. October 7, 2023

Ou I got it. So if I dont want this can I just write HOUDINI_TEXTURE_DISK_CACHE=0 in env or how to turn it off?
Edited by sniegockiszymon - Nov. 14, 2023 12:53:23
7770 posts
sniegockiszymon
jsmack

Sat. October 7, 2023

Ou I got it. So if I dont want this can I just write HOUDINI_TEXTURE_DISK_CACHE=0 in env or how to turn it off?

It's not possible to disable it for XPU that I know of. You can set HOUDINI_TEXTURE_DISK_CACHE=temp and it will save the files in the temp folder rather than with the source.
138 posts
Should i replace the texture files with rat files?Or these files will be readed automatically?
Edited by wanglifu - Dec. 4, 2023 21:02:56
98 posts
One problem with .rat fiels is that it adds sufix .rat after the .exr.
I have projects that work on both Maya and Houdini. Problem is that when Houdini creates .exr.rat file Maya gets all messed up and cannot create texture in viewport when using UDIM textures. That wouldn't be a problem if .exr was replaced by .rat, but adding .rat causes all sort of problems back in maya
7770 posts
Mirko Jankovic
One problem with .rat fiels is that it adds sufix .rat after the .exr.
I have projects that work on both Maya and Houdini. Problem is that when Houdini creates .exr.rat file Maya gets all messed up and cannot create texture in viewport when using UDIM textures. That wouldn't be a problem if .exr was replaced by .rat, but adding .rat causes all sort of problems back in maya

sounds like a Maya problem
98 posts
Well from 1 poin of view... yes. But then again redshift and arnold creates their versions of those files but none of them are problematic
8555 posts
Mirko Jankovic
Well from 1 poin of view... yes. But then again redshift and arnold creates their versions of those files but none of them are problematic
But what does Maya have to do with .rat files? Or .exr.rat?
Shouldn't it just ignore them?

I don't know if .rat extension after .ext is on purpose but if it is it sounds like a very smart idea to me, rather than replacing .ext with .rat
Since then you can use textures of the same name with different extension and each will get just rat suffix making the .rat versions all unique without overriding each other
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7770 posts
tamte
Mirko Jankovic
But what does Maya have to do with .rat files? Or .exr.rat?
Shouldn't it just ignore them?

I don't know if .rat extension after .ext is on purpose but if it is it sounds like a very smart idea to me, rather than replacing .ext with .rat
Since then you can use textures of the same name with different extension and each will get just rat suffix making the .rat versions all unique without overriding each other

I wonder also if it is for color management reasons.
138 posts
wanglifu
Should i replace the texture files with rat files?Or these files will be readed automatically?
Can anyone answer my question?should i upload these rat files when i use renderfarm?
Edited by wanglifu - Dec. 20, 2023 01:37:38
7770 posts
wanglifu
wanglifu
Can anyone answer my question?should i uplaod these rat files when i use renderfarm?

probably depends on if you get billed for time to upload
98 posts
Back to .rat issue, problem is that for some reason once .rat files are created then viewport in Maya cannot "Regenerate All UV Tile Preview Textures", is display UDIM textures on characters properly in viewport. It throws out some error. As soon as .rat files are removed it works fine.
Now it is not that big of a deal and probably not that often that it will be used on both programs to create this issue but it is a bit annoying. That is all
8555 posts
Mirko Jankovic
Back to .rat issue, problem is that for some reason once .rat files are created then viewport in Maya cannot "Regenerate All UV Tile Preview Textures", is display UDIM textures on characters properly in viewport. It throws out some error. As soon as .rat files are removed it works fine.
Now it is not that big of a deal and probably not that often that it will be used on both programs to create this issue but it is a bit annoying. That is all
you should bring it up with Autodesk
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links