APEX Autorig FKTransform issue

1197   8   1
17 posts
Hi,

I am trying to understand how to do basic rigging in APEX by following the Max Rose Tutorials in You tube. When I connect the packfolder to the FKTransform Autorig component the skeleton goes haywire as shown by the blue lines in the image. The light grey lines represent the source skeleton which is a Mixamo one. I'd be grateful for any assistance anyone can offer/:

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-12-15 182712.jpg (305.1 KB)

7743 posts
Can you post your hip file? It's hard to tell what the issue is without it.
17 posts
Thanks for the reply and posted as requested(:

Attachments:
Apex_test.hiplc (206.2 KB)

17 posts
I was able to resolve the issue by changing the names of the joints. What was strange was the IK autorig component worked even with the original names/:
7743 posts
Oh, I think it's because of the colon (:)characters which can be interpreted as part of namespaces. Maybe log a bug and for a deeper investigation as to why. Offhand, not sure if this a bug or not.
Edited by edward - Dec. 18, 2023 08:22:15
3 posts
Yea you need to use Attribute String Edit SOP on the capture pose.

Checked Points
'name' in the field

Then go to the Editor tab
To:

Leave "To:" blank

I've had this problem for weeks but was able to solve it this way. But now I've run into other problems. When I go to Scene Animate the geometry disappears (but the rig is there)
7743 posts
It needs to be removed for all THREE of the FBX Character Import SOP's outputs. For the skin geomtry, they're in the points boneCapture attribute. For the skeletons, they're in the point name attribute. After you do this, test with a Joint Deform SOP and rig pose to make sure everything is still working before doing the APEX work.
3 posts
Alright when I added another autorig component (with bonedeform) the mesh shows up again. The bonedeform autorig component has to be the last node.

Edit: Ran into a new problem with importing a mixamo animation now.

Following along here: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/character/kinefx/animationworkflow.html#import-existing-animation-onto-a-character [www.sidefx.com]

Anyone have any success importing a mixamo animation onto a mixamo character using the above method?

What I've done
1) The imported mixamo animation also has the annoying namespace stuff (mixamorig which I removed with Attribute String Edit SOP
2) Yes I did set the rig path in APEX Scene Add Animation SOP

What I see
The mixamo guy (the geometry) stands there in the T-Pose while the imported animation skeleton plays in the same spot. The animation looks like it's successfully imported but isn't bind to the geometry for some reason.
Edited by illuminoctis - Dec. 22, 2023 04:58:04
7743 posts
@illuminoctis did you make sure to update the boneCapture attribute in your Attribute String Edit? It's not really clear what your issue is. It might be better start a new thread with your scene file.
  • Quick Links