Feather Orientation

949   4   1
15 posts
Hello I am having trouble orienting my feathers. I made my guides with hairgen and sculpted with guide groom. When I try the orient brush in the guide groom nothing changes. The barborient attribute exists. I don't have much experience in grooming so I"m not sure what i'm doing wrong. Can this be fixed by resculpting in guidegroom? Or am I missing something?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-12-20 094325.png (1.2 MB)

101 posts
Hello,

Based on your screenshot, you use Guide Tangent Space node after the Guide Groom node.

It can set an orient attribute procedurally, so if you are outputing the barborient attribute with guide tangent space node, it will override your bursh work in guide groom node.

EDIT : So when you want to create barborient attribute procedurally before starting brush work, you can add guide tangent space node before guide groom node, not after it. Here's an example hip file.
Edited by ObeidaZakzak - Dec. 21, 2023 15:29:20

Attachments:
FeatherOrient.hiplc (9.4 MB)

Houdini Pipeline Supervisor @ TAT Studio
15 posts
Thank you! Yes I eventually figured out that the barborient was overriding everything. Once I turned it off I was able to orient in guidegroom. But your setup is definitely better for real time feedback. It was hard to see exactly what i was doing working only with the guides. Just redid my whole groom haha. Thanks again!
15 posts
I have another feather question, if any one can guide me in the right direction. I have built my primary wings and am trying to merge them in with my body groom. A regular merge node does not work (i think due to the mis-match of attributes). I am trying to use a groom blend, but it changes my groom, (i.e. the empty patch on the wing arm), it also changes Cd.

Is there a better method for merging in the wings with the body groom?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-12-24 163544.png (679.5 KB)

Staff
637 posts
If you want everything in one geometry, you'll have to make sure that the barb segment count matches. Feathers rely on tuple attributes, where each element (each point in this case) must have the same number of entries.

You can use a Feather Resample SOP to do this - or you might be able to change it earlier in the process, in your feather templates.
Kai Stavginski
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
  • Quick Links