Using hscript to control display of objects

578   2   0
156 posts
This is a follow-up to my previous post, "Update parameters scripting syntax", that was solved by mtucker.

I'm now using an object's Render Geometry Settings node with hscript to control render display using the following line:

opparm object_RGS `encodeparm("primvars:karma:object:rendervisibility")` ( " " )

This works great, but it means any object I want to separately control the display of needs it's own Render Geometry Settings node.

Instead, is there another (simpler) way, using hscript, to set the visibility of a primitive?

Would be convenient if there was something similar to the Scene Graph's "Toggle scene graph primitive's visibility" parameter for render display.
Edited by fgillis - Dec. 26, 2023 22:01:22
Floyd Gillis
Staff
4438 posts
You _can_ implement something in the scene graph tree, but remember that changes made there _only_ affect the viewport. They will never affect your final render. Given that your current approach creates a node, I assume this change in behavior would be undesirable. But using a node I think isn't a big deal if you give the node a particular name based on what it does (clear_render_visibility) and every time you want to hide a prim, add it to the Primitives parameter of this existing node (or create the node if it doesn't exist yet).
8554 posts
you may want to elaborate more

the requirement "using hscript" is a bit cryptic
what is your usecase? or process you are triggering those hscript commands from?
why can't you use Python to set the parms in a similar but more flexible way?
or alternatively Python or VEX to set them up during cook procedurally?
Edited by tamte - Jan. 4, 2024 23:04:52
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links