How to link Multiparms between HDA and its child nodes?

705   5   3
443 posts
Let's say I have an HDA with a Attribute String Edit SOP in it. I'd like to promote the Attribute String Edit SOP's mulitparm to the HDA.

The HDA:

The child Attribute String Edit SOP:

What expressions should I use for these parameters?

ch("../filter#")

doesn't work.

ch("../filter0")

works, however, it doesn't work when the number of multparms changes.

I know I can use Alt+MMB to promote the multiparm from the child node to HDA. But I'd like to know how to do it manually. For example, I might have two children nodes that both need to share the multiparms from the same parent HDA.
Edited by raincole - Jan. 29, 2024 20:36:55

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-01-30 092946.png (34.7 KB)
Screenshot 2024-01-30 093205.png (38.7 KB)

93 posts
Hello,

From the Edit Type Properties window, you can set a list of paths to multiparm blocks.

Then, to link each channel to children channels, you can do it from the "Channels" tab on the appropriate parm of the HDA.

Make sur that you always use '#' in links created from this window, and that all multiparm blocks share the same start index, otherwise you will have an offset.

Here's an example with a subnet, using Edit Parameter Interafce window, should be the same for Type Properties on HDAs.
Edited by ObeidaZakzak - Jan. 30, 2024 03:06:18

Attachments:
parm interface.png (667.6 KB)
channels.png (56.1 KB)
multiparmblock_channels.hiplc (96.2 KB)

Houdini Pipeline Supervisor @ TAT Studio
7720 posts
The manual way to do it is to use the opmultiparm hscript command which adds the magic connection so that the necessary channel references are created when a multiparm instance is added.
8554 posts
the link will be set up automatically if you promote the parms by draging the "Number Of Filters" parm into Type Properties window Parameters/Existing Parameters section

or from Parameters/Create Parameters/From Nodes section into the Parameters/Existing Parameters section
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
129 posts
tamte
the link will be set up automatically if you promote the parms by draging the "Number Of Filters" parm into Type Properties window Parameters/Existing Parameters section

or from Parameters/Create Parameters/From Nodes section into the Parameters/Existing Parameters section
this works good and all, but I am creating a custom file cache which has 2 TOP nets inside like the regular Labs file cache. it should have the 'wedging' multiparm linked to both 'TOPnet Cache' and 'TOPnet display' at the same time. I tried doing it exactly like labs file cache but it can only link one multiparm inside with the outside one.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4NQi8wpYUbR9wLolfHrZVA [www.youtube.com]
8554 posts
AhmedHindy
... but it can only link one multiparm inside with the outside one.
That makes sense, then use one of the other methods described in this thread
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links