Forcing Particles to Follow a Path Dynamically

676   5   2
47 posts
Hi friends,

May I please ask How I can force particles to follow a curve and be affected also with the noise and other pop forces?

For my purpose I tried to pop steer path(instead of pop curve force which is a bit difficult for my task to control) and it works very well but the motion is static. Then I added some noise (pop force)but that causes particles to leave the path and never come back.

How would you suggest to get particles to stick to the curve but also dancing(angulating???) dynamically around it as if there is wind?

Thanks a lot for your attention.
2536 posts
I'd just shoot them up in straight line, then send the result from the popnet through a path deform node.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
74 posts
Its tricky to balance forces with the particle on a curve, have you tried adding a drag or increasing the air resistance on the pop wind rather than increasing the amplitude. it does work but it takes a while to balance the settings.
47 posts
Using path deform seems to do 50 percent of what I am looking for but it ends up with jittery motion and I am trying to smooth the behavior but I have not found anything yet.

Is there any suggestion to make particles follow smoothly?

Can pop attract help in these situations?
Edited by fred_98 - Feb. 11, 2024 20:07:13
117 posts
@fred_98 try using flipsolver

Attachments:
FlipcurveF.hipnc (626.7 KB)

Conservation of Momentum
74 posts
have a look at this using pop steer.

Attachments:
on_curve.hiplc (406.8 KB)

• Quick Links