Karma XPU background plate

1158   15   2
22 posts
I don't get the same results with XPU vs CPU. Looking at the holdout shadow pass the primitives added to the background plate seems to cast shadows on each other which doesn't seem right? (The CPU version doesnt have this issue.) EDIT: I posted all this and THEN read the documentation, sorry about that.. "There is some limited support for Background plate". Thing is its working w just a groundplane but not w many different objects.. Also realised the material inside the backgroundplate is VEX based, maybe thats the issue? Either way, hope to see updates about this particular issue as its the only thing preventing me from going full speed XPU for much of the stuff that I do
Edited by timjan - March 17, 2024 18:17:18
22 posts
I thought the backgroundplate should work w Karma XPU? Ive got a simple scene set up, a ground + a sphere which are added to the background plate, the pig is there to cast shadows.
Edited by timjan - March 17, 2024 18:05:04

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2024-03-17 22-49-36.png (1.3 MB)

22 posts
Rendering w Karma CPU i only see the pig shadow in the "holdout_shadows" pass
Edited by timjan - March 17, 2024 18:03:37

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2024-03-17 22-54-34.png (209.1 KB)

22 posts
Rendering w XPU the primitives in the background plate casts shadows on each other
Edited by timjan - March 17, 2024 18:03:51

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2024-03-17 22-55-52.png (1.2 MB)

Staff
34 posts
Thank you for reporting this.
Could you submit a bug or attach the test scene, please. Thank you.
22 posts
Yes, heres the test scene, thanks!

Attachments:
backgroundplate.hiplc (1.2 MB)

Staff
34 posts
Hi timjan,
Thank you for the test scene. We are working for a possible fix on this in xpu.
I would also like to ask if you possibly could mention any further requirements (in this test scene or in your project)
in regards to the background plate node that isn't meet in xpu? Thank you.
8554 posts
When you dive into the Background Plate dive target there is an editable VEX based material called background, however it doesn't seem to have any effect even on CPU, the background plate still works even if I completely bypass the materiallibrary that's adding the material to the stage, is it just a red herring at this point and can potentially be removed to avoid confusion? H20.0.625
Edited by tamte - March 19, 2024 13:43:53
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
22 posts
Awesome news , thanks! And..I cant really think of anything besides that
Edited by timjan - March 19, 2024 15:18:56
33 posts
ali_f
Hi timjan,
Thank you for the test scene. We are working for a possible fix on this in xpu.
I would also like to ask if you possibly could mention any further requirements (in this test scene or in your project)
in regards to the background plate node that isn't meet in xpu? Thank you.

Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to use a shader as the base of what the aovs look like. Currently it is just values, but what if I would like to feed in textures into roughness for example or have the reflection be affected by a bump map (or even displacement map)?

Comming from Vray there is this functionality and its pretty useful (https://docs.chaos.com/display/VRAYHOUDINI/V-Ray+Wrapper)

This is not XPU related but Karma in general.
Staff
359 posts
tamte
When you dive into the Background Plate dive target there is an editable VEX based material called background, however it doesn't seem to have any effect even on CPU, the background plate still works even if I completely bypass the materiallibrary that's adding the material to the stage, is it just a red herring at this point and can potentially be removed to avoid confusion? H20.0.625

That isn't quite right. The background shader is applied to the background geometry and is visible in secondary rays for the other geo in the scene. With no shader applied, you will still catch shadows, but you won't get any of the background geometry reflected in other objects, etc... It only looks like it doesn't change anything as the plate is still projected through the camera and composited into the viewport. If you drop a chrome ball into your scene it should be obvious.

Here's a with background shader and a without background shader viewport screengrab that shows the difference.
We intentionally left the background shader editable so users could customize it if need be, with all the plate projection, offsets and scaling handled for you.
We're still looking to update it to MtlX however, as soon as we have the required math nodes to do so - which is why with or without won't make any difference in XPU renders currently.

Attachments:
WithShader.png (1.6 MB)
WithoutShader.png (1.4 MB)

8554 posts
ah, thanks for pointing that out, I was checking only without secondary rays

npetit
We're still looking to update it to MtlX however, as soon as we have the required math nodes to do so - which is why with or without won't make any difference in XPU renders currently.
this was actually gonna be my question for XPU, to update the material, before I noticed that it didn't seem to be used

npetit
... as soon as we have the required math nodes to do so...
is it dependent on MtlX development? it seems like it's been years since MtlX updated any low level math nodes, and there is tons that's missing overall, but we can all hope
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
22 posts
Any news on this? :
Staff
34 posts
This should be fixed in the next major release of Houdini. Thank you for all your test cases
22 posts
Wonderful news! Does that mean the next production build? Thanks :
7770 posts
timjan
Wonderful news! Does that mean the next production build? Thanks :

no, that means like v21 or something
  • Quick Links