What's "fully filtered" pixel (finput), exactly?

298   4   0
442 posts
VEX's finput() function's document says:

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/vex/functions/finput.html [www.sidefx.com]

> Returns fully filtered pixel input.

What does this mean exactly? I understand how cinput (nearest point sampling) and binput (bilinear interpolation) work. But what's "fully filtered pixel input"? Which filter?
Staff
5158 posts
It determines the position of the four corners of the transformed output pixel in the input's space and averages all the input pixels that fall within that quadrilateral. It's good for cases where pixels are squished (deformation, scaling down a lot). It's also the slowest of the methods.
442 posts
malexander
It determines the position of the four corners of the transformed output pixel in the input's space and averages all the input pixels that fall within that quadrilateral. It's good for cases where pixels are squished (deformation, scaling down a lot). It's also the slowest of the methods.

It still sounds a lot like bilinear interpolation to me... or it's actually just doing bilinear interpolation 4 times (for each corner) then average the results?
7770 posts
raincole
malexander

It still sounds a lot like bilinear interpolation to me... or it's actually just doing bilinear interpolation 4 times (for each corner) then average the results?

bilinear blends between four corner values, finput() blends between all of the values inside the box.
442 posts
Ah I see. That makes sense. Thanks you two.
  • Quick Links