How to apply a Prman shader to light in H9

8878   8   1
57 posts
How to apply a Prman shader to light in H9?
In H8, the light had the shader field to apply shaders, but I found out the shder field has removed in H9.
Or I need to forget H8 to learn H9 again.
This made me unconfortable.
(In fact, I really don't like H9, but…… )

Thanks for your reading and help.
519 posts
Houdini 9 has two sorts of lights now, one general called the template light and the “old” houdini lights. If you want to add shaders to your lights use the template light (TAB -> lihgt template). Go over to the Render tab for your shaders.
Staff
2591 posts
Pagefan
Houdini 9 has two sorts of lights now, one general called the template light and the “old” houdini lights. If you want to add shaders to your lights use the template light (TAB -> lihgt template). Go over to the Render tab for your shaders.

If it's a fancy shader that you use all the time (uberlight?), you might consider wrapping it up in a new light object (HDA/OTL). That way, all the parameters would be available at the object level rather than having to always assign the shader and set the light up.

If you really wanted to take it to another level, you could also look at the light wrangling features of SOHO. This allows you to massage parameters on your light object. This allows you to target a common light interface to multiple renderer back-ends.

Using the wrangler (like the hlight object) means that you also don't need a SHOP in the light object (so it's a little cleaner).

Of course, using the light template also works. Depends on how slick you want the interface…
57 posts
Why does the light not work?
I could render the scene, but the light(template) didn't take the shader to the result.
The image is always bright and no lighting effects.

And Thanks for your replies.
454 posts
Is this a new H9 scene - with fresh new light objects? or is it a scene that has been through H8?

With the addition of SOHO as a back end you need to make sure that you are using the new lighting, camera and rop assets that come with H9. The H8 ones will work spazmodically.

Cheers
135 posts
Sorry to but in but i hear about this new feature Soho but what is that really for my ignorance in this topic it sounds interesting….

George
3D Mind body and Soul Great illusions are done by great artists…
Staff
2591 posts
sisqosnew
Why does the light not work?
I could render the scene, but the light(template) didn't take the shader to the result.
The image is always bright and no lighting effects.

And Thanks for your replies.

I discovered a bug with some RIB SHOPs (plastic, constant, glass, metal and some others) which caused the incorrect shader string to be generated.

This will be fixed in builds later than 9.0.732

The fix is to pass False in $HH/python/python/shopclerks/ribclerk.py when calling shop.shaderName() – line 75. Without the False, the shader name generated would have contained opdef:.

The new line 75 should look like

shader = ‘“%s”’ % shop.shaderName(False)

However, if you use rmarble, assigning shaders to lights seems to work for me (see attached)

Attachments:
light-tplate.hip.gz (17.0 KB)

Staff
2591 posts
Cylibral
Sorry to but in but i hear about this new feature Soho but what is that really for my ignorance in this topic it sounds interesting….

George

The current information is a bit sparse, but you might look here to get a start

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/SOHO [odforce.net]
2 posts
Pagefan

For Houdini 9.1.x, I am trying to use a home-made Renderman light shader in a scene.

I did the steps in Houdini Lighting:Light Shader 1, 2, 3. But, I could not see MY shader interface UP, except the ones from the Light Template. My shader.otl has different sets of input parameters from the template. How should I bring MY shader UI up?

Thanks in Advance,

:roll:
  • Quick Links