Q: New workflow, using groups

4012   6   3
7025 posts
Hi

So, I still don't get the new workflow after watching all available videos. The difference between ert and y continues to baffle me. For example, I put down a grid (Ctrl Click on the icon) and the first thing I want to do is scale it. So I hit e and scale it. Oh wait, I need to adjust the row and columns… hey where did the row/cols field go from on top of the viewport? Oh I'm in Object mode. OK, hit Geometry mode.. wtf? I got an Edit SOP. I didn't want an Edit SOP I just wanted to get back to the Rows/Cols fields.

It still seems so very fragile to me… but then I'm an old fogey I'm basically training myself to never use ert and only use y as that seems the way to avoid madness.

Another, more important, question: How do I get the SOPs to use Groups instead of stuffing in the point/prim numbers? I could do this in H8.2 without too much hassle, how do I do it in 9? I'm sure for straight ahead modeling it's too clumsy but for anything else, having the point numbers in there is pretty useless, you want to have group names for maximum proceduralism. What am I missing?

Annoyance: Anytime I try to use a Shelf icon the prompt says Running Python Script. I have to actually move the mouse into the viewport before I get the prompt. This is using the latest (9.0.734) build on Linux.

Cheers,

Peter B
519 posts
The first thing i do when i am building up a new scene is to enable “Create in context” from the Tool options button (right above the camera selector in the main view). After that you got a bit more control…

—> As for the group thing i did notice that some nodes have no problems with getting to use the group name while others do. The polyextrude SOP doesn't take names, just the selection. The transform SOP can use both. Seems a bit inconsistent and, in case of the polyextrude SOP, against the nature of Houdini's proceduralism. <—

for my 100th post i could have made a more intelligent remark…groups work fine in polyextrude…just my being in ignoramus-mode roll
Edited by - Oct. 3, 2007 13:32:34
1192 posts
pbowmar
It still seems so very fragile to me…
Totally agree…

pbowmar
Another, more important, question: How do I get the SOPs to use Groups instead of stuffing in the point/prim numbers?
Again agree. Bonus question: is it actually possible to use “reselect geometry for current operation?”

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
345 posts
digitallysane
Again agree. Bonus question: is it actually possible to use “reselect geometry for current operation?”

Yes, whenever you press backtick it should put you in the selecting mode, shift RMB to accept it. Tested on 9.0.725

cheers
kuba
1192 posts
kuba
Yes, whenever you press backtick it should put you in the selecting mode, shift RMB to accept it. Tested on 9.0.725
It *does* work with the workflow you describe. However, if I choose “reselect for current tool ` ” in the select tool's menu, it doesn't work. Shouldn't it be the same?

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
7722 posts
pbowmar
Another, more important, question: How do I get the SOPs to use Groups instead of stuffing in the point/prim numbers? I could do this in H8.2 without too much hassle, how do I do it in 9?

Could you give a concrete example where group names were created by geometry selectors in H8.2?
7025 posts
Hi Edward,

In 8.2, all in the viewport, add grid.

Tab->Group, select some points, RMB to complete. You've created Group1

Tab->SoftTransform (or whatever), click the Replace Selection With Group (using the group from the selector to the left, which likely is already on that group) then RMB to complete. Voila, I can work procedurally and if the group changes I only change it in one SOP.

Any way to do this in 9?

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links