ramp VOP

12675   16   2
32 posts
Why houdini doesn't have a simple ramp in VOP context?
I think it's a preatty basic thing…

I know there are some ramp operators for download (http//www.cgtalk.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=13780), but I think it must be on…

Or there is other sistem to do it?

thanks!
104 posts
Cool - glad to see that thing is still around. I think I still have my original file somewhere - will try to update it to a Houdini 9 DA.

Cheers!
832 posts
onesk8man
Why houdini doesn't have a simple ramp in VOP context?
I think it's a preatty basic thing…

I know there are some ramp operators for download (http://www.cgtalk.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=13780), [cgtalk.ru] but I think it must be on…

Or there is other sistem to do it?

thanks!

this is a good question. we've been asking for one for years. it's an essential tool for serious shader writing. i'd like to see a 1/3 channel ramp. even something similar to the pixar slim ramp (which is itself a photoshop ripoff) would be good for starters.
282 posts
slim spline is one of the most useful tool, I think. Hey, developers! Community want a good spline tool!
Houdini is great! O'right?
32 posts
uff, thanks for the replies.

I though I was the one that want that. )

C'mon a VOP ramp could be really useful! roll
Staff
4438 posts
This is sadly a very long standing RFE. Older than VOPs in fact, since Houdini support in general for ramps is almost completely lacking. It's just that everyone really started to notice when VOPs were added. The only explanation I can give is that it would be a very large amount of work to do this right, and it has always been left by the roadside as less urgent than other tasks. This isn't one of those tasks that a developer can squeeze in between officially assigned work - it would need to be scheduled in as part of an official release plan for it to get done.

But after this many years, that's not a very good explanation any more. I can only hang my head in shame and bump up the priority of the RFE to its maximum. But be warned that this is no guarantee that it will get done in any particular time frame. But we've heard you, and we will (as always) do our collective best.

Mark
1192 posts
mtucker
…and bump up the priority of the RFE to its maximum.
Is there a “more than maximum” or “maximum ++” priority?
Seriously, I'm very happy to hear that. Even with no guarantee, this is still good news.

Thank you,

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
4262 posts
mtucker
This is sadly a very long standing RFE. Older than VOPs in fact, since Houdini support in general for ramps is almost completely lacking. It's just that everyone really started to notice when VOPs were added. The only explanation I can give is that it would be a very large amount of work to do this right, and it has always been left by the roadside as less urgent than other tasks.

When you say “to do this right”, I'm assuming that would mean varying array support VEX, correct? (Cause that's how I think Slim is able to get away with it.)
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
Staff
4438 posts
Actually, I was just talking about the UI. I don't know how it would affect VEX. We'll just leave that as an “implementation detail” for whoever ends up tackling this. Arrays can't be that hard, right? Sigh.

Mark
31 posts
Usually i create a rampCOP, then assign attribute values read from it according to point's UV coordinates. Then pipe this information in VEX/VOPS.
Or maybe you have something else in mind.

But yeah, ramp function/VOP will be nice.
32 posts
yeah!

Really happy to hear news about that mtucker.
Even the “this is no guarantee that it will get done in any particular time frame” are good news.

thanks for this great suppport!
832 posts
mark, it's good to hear you acknowledge the importance of this. even a quick fix would be better than houdini not having the ‘perfect’ solution for another five years. it really is an *essential* part of writing good shaders. right now we have to use all manner of dirty time consuming workarounds. i wouldn't even mind having a vex function that takes a maximum of 10 points in the ramp. *anything* is better than nothing.

or, put it this way - maya has this!
282 posts
I will remind you, guys, from time to time about color spline)) O'right? :!:
Houdini is great! O'right?
832 posts
Wish
I will remind you, guys, from time to time about color spline)) O'right? :!:

what the colour spline VOP? it's not very useful at all. the spline positions are all equidistant - and more importantly - there's no decent shop UI. we need something which is at least as good as maya/xsi/max or any other 3d software out there.
511 posts
mtucker
Actually, I was just talking about the UI. I don't know how it would affect VEX. We'll just leave that as an “implementation detail” for whoever ends up tackling this. Arrays can't be that hard, right? Sigh.

Mark

I always thought there was more of a VEX reason for it's absence, and that most of the UI was already there in the form of the color ramp in Pop's… I'm so desperate for it that I would even take that as it is for now, i.e. just a ramp with one input for the Lookup!

For the “complete” version I would like to see (priority sorted):

-Each key in the ramp would present itself as an input in the Vop node, thus making the Color Mix node redundant, the colors you set in the ramp keys then become merely visualization help… things like the ramp keys defaulting to white if something is connected to them would be very annoying.

- At the very least have simple curve interpolation toggles (per key!) like, Linear, Cubic, Ease-In/Out etc. Nice if you could right click on the key for a drop down menu. You could have little hints above each key to let you know at a glance what they are set to, Ln, Bz, Cu, Ei, Eo…

-Make the ramp zoom/pan-able somehow, very often I need to place keys so close together that they become almost on top of each other and difficult to manipulate (think of a long smoke trail and you're trying to precisely adjust the color at the tip, this can be extremely frustrating with the pop color ramp). You could use a mechanism similar to the time-line controls for this.

- Editing the curve interpolation via a graph editor type interface… perhaps by making the ramp thicker and overlaying the curve over it, and a button that opens up the channel editor if more precise control is needed.

cheers
Sergio
1192 posts
I hope it would be a general UI widget, not VOPs only, so the same could be used in POPs for example or anywhere the current ramp widget is used.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
82 posts
My first one request! up up up :!:
  • Quick Links