Materials not rendering properly.

11436   13   0
50 posts
I find Houdini confusing sometimes, i the others i simply can not understand what is going on. I was doing a shot and when rendered my megaphones FBX was rendered with the proper materials. Then, as i just saved my scene and opened it again.. no background, and although I've already posted the problem here with no results, i figured out by myself then when i exit and reopen houdini, the option for show transparency in render window auto turns off itself. That's why matteshadow was not working properly. Now. This problem on the other hand I really can't figure out what is going on. I could see my materials in render before i closed my window, and now that i reopen, although i see materials in the viewport i i don't see them in the render view…
What is going on? can you help me please??? Thanks

Attachments:
megaphones problem.rar (2.8 MB)
render_view.png (585.2 KB)
viewport.png (119.7 KB)

250 posts
I had exactly the same problem. My dop network had his display flag on (scene level), and when I was rendering my textures were not visible… I turn the display flag off, and my textures appear in the render. BUT it worked in my scene, and it seems a bit strange, I don't think that it is the solution… (so maybe you will have to cache your simulation)
https://vimeo.com/obreadytom [vimeo.com]
50 posts
I turn the display flag off, and my textures appear in the render

Indeed my friend, I just turned it off and on again and voila.. I have my materials back again… Well this is really weird. I love Houdini but sometimes…. Brrrr. I can knock me out… XD

If someone has a better solution for this i'l be glad to hear… Or even an explanation for what causes this to happen.

Anyway, thanks a lot Lewul…
250 posts
I don't know if it like this since the new production built…
50 posts
Problem is not solved after all. :cry: It was ok in my render window but when i rendered my sequence i get the render with no colors at all…. Is this a bug? …
250 posts
Arf…
250 posts
It can't be apenning to both of us at the same time, I has to be a bug.
2624 posts
Can you post a scene file up and show the problem using simple geometry primitives and one of the sample Houdini rat files for a background

Rob
Gone fishing
50 posts
circusmonkey this problem does not happen with simple geometry, hence i believe that it has to do with the way Houdini manages materials contained in imported fbx for when i import the fbx it creates a subnetwork in my scene wich contains my geomtry node and a SHOPS subnetwork with the materials inside it. Should this network be inside the SHOP network or something and if so how could i link the materials after doing it. I do have a single object with several materials applied to it…
2624 posts
Satamanster
circusmonkey this problem does not happen with simple geometry, hence i believe that it has to do with the way Houdini manages materials contained in imported fbx for when i import the fbx it creates a subnetwork in my scene wich contains my geomtry node and a SHOPS subnetwork with the materials inside it. Should this network be inside the SHOP network or something and if so how could i link the materials after doing it. I do have a single object with several materials applied to it…

Please then post up a simple Houdini scene file where you replace the fbx geoemtry with simple a geometry primitive > If there is a problem with the fbx we can start to debug what is wrong.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having shop networks contained inside geometry sub networks .Replacing materials is easy as is tunneling into assets to extract data.

The problem is most likely your approach. I say this as on every show Ive ever worked on we pull in, extract data, apply shaders for every fx / lighting shot in the pipeline .

Rob
Gone fishing
8592 posts
dop networks are not meant to be rendered directly, instead of turning it off and on and hoping that it will solve your problem you need to keep it off and import the objects from dop network to actual geometry object which you can render

to make it more efficient you can just import points from dops and render your object as instances
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
50 posts
tamte can you explain the workflow of your approach, i still need my objects to behave like individual rigid bodies…

circusmonkey what do you mean by using rat files. you're dealing with a total noob here…

Thank you guys.
8592 posts
this is what I mean

Attachments:
megaphones_as_instances.hipnc (967.1 KB)
megaphones_fix.hipnc (963.6 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
50 posts
Thank you so much tamte, I didn't realize dop network was not meant to be rendered… I understand now what I was doing wrong. Thank you sooo much.
  • Quick Links