Sculpt tool not smoothing

5770   8   0
217 posts
Hi,
what am I doing wrong? Sculpt tool deforming works fine but if I switch to smoothing and clicking the left mouse in the Scene view, the menu switches back to deforming…

hm…

Thanks for tips!

Detlef
217 posts
…if I use the right click menu and change to “smooth” it works!
Hurraaa!
スタッフ
2540 posts
Hi Detlef,

I can't recreate the bug where you set smooth to LMB in Sculpt SOP. It works for me. If you can recreate, please submit the bug to support.

But I am always setting smoothing to the MMB for some reason so I would not personally have caught this bug if it was there. I do set deform with smooth on LMB frequently though and that has worked throughout the H16 beta for me.
There's at least one school like the old school!
387 posts
Maybe it's the same bug as in Edit SOP ID: 75691
Easily reproducible with Wacom tablet as an input device.
I think the same problem is for Paint SOP, have to retest that again in the most recent build.

Mouse input seems to be ok.
7762 posts
Korama
It's definitely a bug or a very barmy feature…..change the operation goal type to smooth, deform and smooth or erase etc ***via the parameter window*** of the “sculpt” or “edit” node and try using the brush, it always defaults back to deform points.

It has always worked this way. The paint sop too. The menu on the parameter dialog doesn't affect brush strokes, only the ‘apply all’ operation. Admittedly, this is not the most intuitive tool.
1755 posts
If only this were the only instance where Houdini's “intuitive” modus operandi is being flagged as a bug…
The same issue with the paint sop. So here's a problem at hand for SideFx: people read “apply to all” & “operation for all” and they're clearly not a very inspired wording from a clarity pov. Will you change it?
Hovering the mouse cursor over them will edify most, but that's not what most will do. A s/w interface has to be designed in mind with what people usually do, not what they should or you hope they'll do. The fact that Houdini's philosophy is obliging users to rethink the way they've worked before in other programs comes with net benefits. Accustoming oneself to unclear and confusing naming, currently, has the sole benefit of not falling on one's face when encountering one of these traps.
Threads like these will appear ad infinitum if no action will be taken when these issues resurface. No one's expecting an overhaul in one sitting, but please do something when a certain issue, like this one, pops up. One at a time.

edit: as a suggestion, using “flood or ”fill" most people will get the gist of, as it's traditionally used in other programs
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - 2019年2月15日 21:52:17
7 posts
Also got stuck on this for a bit, the viewport right click menu works but the “Smooth Points” on the SOP itself always seems to deform unless applying to all. Might be easier to grasp if the setting in the SOP matched the right click menu. Really useful tool other than that slight issue!
16 posts
Poke. This bug is still around in 18. Seems Wacom related.
Edited by mtf - 2020年6月19日 21:45:41
620 posts
This is still in 19.5. Include edit sop's sculpt mode. But i cannot reproduce everytime.
  • Quick Links