Post vellum hair Problem —— hair clump makes the hair rotate abnormally?

3961   10   1
6 posts
I have been using vellum to simulate hair. After I have simulated the hair, I found that the wrong hair appears on the correct guide line, and the hair rotates strangely.
So I started a test
First I create a sphere, and create a guide line from the sphere, after using guidegroom and guidedeform to create the necessary attributes and adding animation, then in a new geo, I use hairgen and hairclump to create hairs and tie the hairs together.
Then there is a problem with hairclump! Rotate the sphere, the hair will rotate abnormally.
Image Not Found

Image Not Found

It seems to be related to the tangent attribute of hairclump.
Changing the shape method from ‘extrude and blend’ to ‘linear blend’ can solve this problem, but I don’t want to do this because it will change the hair styling. Is there a better solution?
File is
Image Not Found
Edited by nausicaa - 2020年7月31日 08:48:34

Attachments:
CH($RU~$VZ67)N2@K_%})@G.jpg (34.7 KB)
sfsfasdfasf.mov (11.1 MB)
T4~FL`Z%}%V`KOFUQ@ZQ7]7.jpg (34.3 KB)
hair rotate.hip (522.5 KB)

7737 posts
Yep, looks pretty broken.

Fortunately the old hairclump node seems more stable. (I see a little bit of wiggle, but not to the degree of twisting seen in hairclump::2.0)

Edit:
do you mind if I submit this as a bug, or did you already?
Edited by jsmack - 2020年7月31日 14:47:22

Attachments:
hair rotate_downgrade.hip (861.0 KB)

555 posts
what about linear blend instead of extrude and blend Method ?

Attachments:
Linear.jpg (119.0 KB)
hair rotate_linear.hiplc (522.0 KB)

555 posts
also in this tute:

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/controlling-clumps/ [www.sidefx.com]

at 6:30 he talks about blend method, might be of interest to you.
6 posts
Thank you for your help, I believe I have learned a lot from it.
I haven't submit this bug.
Edited by nausicaa - 2020年8月4日 21:47:07
6 posts
Unfortunately, although hairclump in the ball rotation test is better than hairclump::2.0.
But on very complex hairs, hairclump's hair rotation error is much more than hairclump::2.0.
Edited by nausicaa - 2020年8月4日 21:46:58
7737 posts
Sounds like clumping isn't usable on animated grooms. Are you able to deform a static groom using animated guides/or the skin? I don't think I've ever used a live groom in practice, there's always some problem that requires going with a deformer route.
6 posts
There are so many bug with Houdini's hair that surprised me.Houdini 's extrude and blend Method is the default option, but static modeling can only be used.
Hey jsmack,I tried,but guidedeformer is too slow.
Edited by nausicaa - 2020年8月5日 05:43:34
31 posts
The best approach is to framehold your hairgen with a timeshift before doing any work on it with clumps, frizz, and what not. Then after all the clumps and frizz is done create an attribute wrangle and input the hairclump frizz result into input 1, the hairgen before the framehold (animated) in input 2, then take the frameheld hairgen before the clumps and processing and put it into input 3.

Once its all wired up put this vex in the wrangle:
v@P += v@opinput1_P - v@opinput2_P;

This will give the hairclump frizzed fancy hair same motion as the vanilla input hairgen without changing its beautiful shape.

Tanto helped solve this with me over here https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/82414/?page=1#heart [www.sidefx.com]
7737 posts
mannyw

That won't work if there's any rotation in the animation or non-uniform deformation, as the reference frame will be rotated and/or vary spatially.
Edited by jsmack - 2022年1月7日 21:27:45
31 posts
jsmack
mannyw

That won't work if there's any rotation in the animation or non-uniform deformation, as the reference frame will be rotated and/or vary spatially.
Oh really? It's been working fine for me so far but I guess there is not much movement in my current sim. It might show with more intense rotation like your saying. Do you have a solution for that case?
  • Quick Links