maybe the title could be something like:
Day 1 | Shape | Round | Animation
Day 1 | Shape | Round | Image
Day 2 | Shape | Linear | Animation
Day 2 | Shape | Linear | Image
Day 3 | Shape | Obtuse | Animation
Day 3 | Shape | Obtuse | Image
etc..

helps with categorizing the days more neatly when arranged alphabetically imho ^_^
Edited by galagast - 2023年3月1日 12:09:23

Attachments:
day1_naming.png (13.8 KB)

48 posts
Greetings! I have a question for those of us working in the ACEScg colorspace.

If we use ACES, do we need to apply the ACEScg->sRGB transform to our rendered images in Houdini(via COPs or MPlay) in order to export an sRGB JPG? That is, would applying the ACEScg->sRGB transform to a rendered image outside of Houdini (either via Houdini's own hoiiotool.exe or a compositing package) violate the "COPs only" rule?

I successfully used the "sRGB for ACEScg Houdini.lut" to export an sRGB JPG out of MPlay on Day 1, but I got artifacts using the same approach on Day 2. I did not want to violate Mardini rules, so I used MPlay's "convert to image format's colorspace," which made the final JPG brighter than what I had in the Karma viewport.
スタッフ
1182 posts
GreebleGraphics

If we use ACES, do we need to apply the ACEScg->sRGB transform to our rendered images in Houdini(via COPs or MPlay) in order to export an sRGB JPG? That is, would applying the ACEScg->sRGB transform to a rendered image outside of Houdini (either via Houdini's own hoiiotool.exe or a compositing package) violate the "COPs only" rule?

I successfully used the "sRGB for ACEScg Houdini.lut" to export an sRGB JPG out of MPlay on Day 1, but I got artifacts using the same approach on Day 2. I did not want to violate Mardini rules, so I used MPlay's "convert to image format's colorspace," which made the final JPG brighter than what I had in the Karma viewport.

I would suggest posting this to the technical forum. It sounds like a bigger issue beyond Mardini. Or log it as a bug where you can share the file and maybe get a more direct answer.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
252 posts
I wonder if it's just me on this side of the world, but loading up the forums to view the other entries tends to be really slow for me XD (this is the same last year)

For my uploads, i typically chose compressed jpgs to lower the size.. albeit sacrificing a bit of quality >_<

Is the forum image attachment upload able to do compression so that we can preview the images while scrolling? Then if we want to view the original uploaded image, we just click on them individually?
22 posts
GreebleGraphics

I ran into the same issue. Cops does not seem to be quite ready for the ACES workflow. There is an OCIO node in vops, but I could not get that to work correctly.

For future competitions I think it would be nice to not have the cops compositing limitation. While I hope that some day (h20 or h21?) cops will become as powerful as it could be at the moment it feels rather slow and clunky and is missing some basic functionality like being able to use normal luts (.cube that is, not talking about houdini's .lut file format). I know a lot of people have made amazing stuff with cops but for me it feels very limiting and has resulted in me basically just avoiding any compositing.
スタッフ
1182 posts
Thanks for the feedback. It will certainly get taken into account for next years Mardini.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
123 posts
HandcraftedMedia
GreebleGraphics
/snip/

If I may ? I understand it's a bit out of topic as it's a more general issue, but since the validity of COP in a Mardini context has been raised, it feels relevant to share how I do my OCIO transforms.
Assuming my workflow was already in ACEScg , I drop a vop cop filter setuped like this :

Then I set my ROP like this :

It seems to do the trick.
Edited by Wolrajh - 2023年3月4日 00:03:25

Attachments:
COP_ocio1.jpg (54.5 KB)
COP_ocio2.jpg (80.7 KB)

80 posts
Wolrajh
HandcraftedMedia
GreebleGraphics
/snip/

If I may ? I understand it's a bit out of topic as it's a more general issue, but since the validity of COP in a Mardini context has been raised, it feels relevant to share how I do my OCIO transforms.
Assuming my workflow was already in ACEScg , I drop a vop cop filter setuped like this :
Image Not Found

Then I set my ROP like this :
Image Not Found

It seems to do the trick.

What I've been doing too, works like a charm
123 posts
Wait, did the deadline change? Daylight saving times has started applying for you guys ?
We haven't yet switched to daylight saving times here in France ( prob Europe? ). It's due around the end of March I believe.

Obviously I had no idea and I stayed on course for 6am local time, which was midnight so far Apparently it's 1am now. :x
Edited by Wolrajh - 2023年3月13日 01:04:53
280 posts
Wolrajh
Wait, did the deadline change? Daylight saving times has started applying for you guys ?
We haven't yet switched to daylight saving times here in France ( prob Europe? ). It's due around the end of March I believe.

Obviously I had no idea and I stayed on course for 6am local time, which was midnight so far Apparently it's 1am now. :x

Hey, yes this! I just posted the exact same thing in the daily post for day12, I had no idea, Australia doesn't have any daylight change today so I blindly assumed it was schedule as usual. I also plan my very busy day, render times and everything else after knowing it was 3pm in my case... which is now 2pm it seems.

I suggested that day12 allowed submissions to 1am, and from tomorrow day13, we follow the correct EDT time again. This really should have been much more obvious to the international community I feel.
https://www.thomaskchristensen.com [www.thomaskchristensen.com]
123 posts
Thomas Klyhn Christensen
Wolrajh

This really should have been much more obvious to the international community I feel.

Last year we had a period of grace where submissions where accepted until 1am. A few days I think ? Memory is bad.
I also think the delay between my local change and EDT change was shorter, like one week - placing the switch later in the month. So yeah next week I would have been careful but I thought it was still safe now
  • Quick Links