Houdini 20 will be unveiled (not released) on October 26

26202   128   5
13 posts
For me it's not so much that the UI isn't useful and well sectioned but that overall feels slower and tedious compared to Blender, not to mention it breaks constantly (specially on linux). And there are lot's of other interactions to improve, overall it seems you are closer and in direct relation to the scene in Blender, the right click to select + g/r/s + mouse movement it's quite a bit faster than, S + click + T + Middle mouse + movement.

You can see it in the comparison, Houdini greys out the scene, is full of glitches and laggy, while blender resizes the scene window, it's clear all the way and silky smooth. 5120x2160p so it's quite a stress test.
Edited by EdganHomt - 2023年10月26日 12:39:52

Attachments:
UI_comparison.mp4 (10.9 MB)

54 posts
it 26th. 21:44 PM in Europe... i quess that soon there will be full H20 presenstation online?
Edited by oldteapot7 - 2023年10月26日 15:47:02
180 posts
They take their time... I wouldn't stay up late waiting : )
8554 posts
oldteapot7
it 26th. 21:44 PM in Europe... i quess that soon there will be full H20 presenstation online?
I wouldn't necessarily count on it as site states:
Recordings of these talks will be posted when Houdini 20 goes gold!

so you may need to wait until the actual release
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
900 posts
tamte
oldteapot7
I wouldn't necessarily count on it as site states:
Recordings of these talks will be posted when Houdini 20 goes gold!

so you may need to wait until the actual release

Tomas, I think you are referring to the tutorials for Hou20, while he's talking about the presentation of Hou20.

As I understand, they are 2 different events, held in 2 different days.
The recording of the Hou20 presentation should be posted 2-3 days after the live event (which took place yesterday)
Edited by Andr - 2023年10月26日 17:02:22
900 posts
They are literally one the few (the only one, mb?) companies in the field making a "live" event to introduce a new release.
I wouldn't call it bad PR.
Edited by Andr - 2023年10月26日 17:12:30
233 posts
cgp
Sidefx is a great company, but the PR department is terrible. There are no live broadcasts, video of events appears after many days. Creating ridiculous intrigue where it is not needed. Reel is always weak, which is usually typical for a technical or programming company. The vast majority of effects in industry are done in Houdini (accordingly, there is a huge amount of excellent content to choose from), but the reel is usualy assembled from second-rate content.

You should go use blender if you’re not happy.
233 posts
Andr
They are literally one the few (the only one, mb?) companies in the field making a "live" event to introduce a new release.
I wouldn't call it bad PR.

I agree. The ignorance of some people and comments on this thread is hard to tolerate.

I’m going to ignore comments like that in the future cause it’s starting to upset me.

When was the last time anyone has seen a release of the size of Houdini 20 in any 3D package? The magnitude of tutorials… The engagement from the development team… The love and pride in the product… The fact that they actually do launch events and HIVEs etc.

And here we are bit*hing and opinionating about little things like know it all experts.
Edited by LukeP - 2023年10月26日 17:19:47
9 posts
"When was the last time anyone has seen a release of the size of Houdini 20 in any 3D package? The magnitude of tutorials… The engagement from the development team… The love and pride in the product… The fact that they actually do launch events and HIVEs etc."

I completely agree with this.
250 posts
cgp
I've been working with Houdini for about 20 years, and I think it's amazing software. I was talking exclusively about PR. The logic of “Do it better and then talk”, “go use blender” looks stupid. Blender, by the way, is also excellent software. And there is no need to oppose it as poor software.
No offence, but Blender is crappy software riddled with limitations, it can't handle large scenes, if you have too many polygons, particles, or textures in your scene, Blender will simply crash, and the bar is very low, Blender is not a functional software, hence the thousand upon thousands of plugins for it, there are more plugins for Blender than for all the other DCCs put together, they sell more in plugins for Blender on the Blender Market alone than what the Blender Institute collect in donations every year, just download the BI annual financial reports if you don't believe me, Blender is archaic, the tools for rigging, animating, modelling, texture painting, and so on, are more than 15 years old, the BI has been promising to update those for over 10 years, never delivering, and the list goes on, Blender is nothing but a flashy piece of software developed to attract donations from a community of hobbyists, and it is developed by a company that is nothing more than a hype machine, namely the Blender Institute!

Sorry, but I get tired of all the Blender apostles trying to push Blender on every forum there is!
Edited by GCharb - 2023年10月26日 18:55:26
54 posts
乁( ⁰͡ Ĺ̯ ⁰͡ ) ㄏ
Edited by oldteapot7 - 2023年10月26日 21:57:15

Attachments:
WhereIsIt.jpg (26.2 KB)

146 posts
Thank you SideFX for the great work! I hold a deep respect for the amazing amount and quality of development (and support! <3), which you are able to deliver! I am so much looking forward for the presentations and another mind blowing world of possibilities with H20.

---------------------

Following on the discussion: Please, what is the development status of MaterialX in Blender? Or status/roadmap of export of USD with MaterialX? When can we expect to be able to import it "flawlesly" into Houdini?

I have found this:
https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/issues/112864 [projects.blender.org]

But I don't have an overview of the situation and possible involved complications.
Edited by ikoon - 2023年10月27日 02:04:24
101 posts
GCharb
cgp
Blender is nothing but a flashy piece of software developed to attract donations from a community of hobbyists, and it is developed by a company that is nothing more than a hype machine, namely the Blender Institute!

Sorry, but I get tired of all the Blender apostles trying to push Blender on every forum there is!

You should really calm down man, because a lot of what you said is not true.

I'm a Blender AND Houdini user and I know what I love and hate about both. I actually believe that the two are a good fit for each other because Houdini doesn't have sculpting, 2D animation (grease pencil), 3D tracking, video editing (if needed) and can be tedious to do destructive modeling in it. Blender, on the other hand, sucks major times in quite anything related to physics, handling of large scenes etc.

So instead of taking it too personally, embrace what can be done with it - in the end it's just an egoistic thing, we use these tools for our own needs.
Edited by Sygnum - 2023年10月27日 07:35:58
101 posts
The keynote:

Edited by Sygnum - 2023年10月27日 02:55:32
126 posts
The cirtic in this thread has been mostly directed at UX/UI, which seems somewhat neglected in this release (we might still be positivtly suprised).

It’s been voiced by many experienced users on the forum that UX/UI is an issue and I think it’s fair to keep voicing it until something is done about it.

i.e. it’s trivial to implement drag and dropping image support, at least compared to many of the systems in the release, so why isn’t sidefx just doing it?

We highlight Blender because it got a lot of UI/UX right, that’s it, nobody claims geometry nodes can compete with houdini.

EDIT: haha written as released, lets see if we’re positively suprised
Edited by aeaeaeae - 2023年10月27日 03:16:54
85 posts
Sygnum
The keynote:

does it means its goes gold , no?
444 posts
The new animation tools look great (if they work stably of course). I know there are some more fundamental UX issues in Houdini to be solved, but it seems like that they at least have people who care UI/UX in the team.

Edit: But the APEX idea looks so complicated that I don't know if I like it. I understand it's an ambitious and powerful stuff...
Edited by raincole - 2023年10月27日 05:44:18
102 posts
Well, we have seen that SideFX is still focused on introducing new complex things, ignoring the requests of users for increased convenience and beauty. Is such a strategy true in the long term ? Maybe. Or maybe not. Unfortunately, we do not have a worthy competitor in the procedural. Competition is the engine of progress.
250 posts
Sygnum

I'm a Blender AND Houdini user and I know what I love and hate about both. I actually believe that the two are a good fit for each other because Houdini doesn't have sculpting, 2D animation (grease pencil), 3D tracking, video editing (if needed) and can be tedious to do destructive modeling in it. Blender, on the other hand, sucks major times in quite anything related to physics, handling of large scenes etc.

So instead of taking it too personally, embrace what can be done with it - in the end it's just an egoistic thing, we use these tools for our own needs.
This is my opinion based on my experience with Blender and the BI, you may not agree with it, but it doesn't mean that I am wrong!
13 posts
GCharb
Sygnum

This is my opinion based on my experience with Blender and the BI, you may not agree with it, but it doesn't mean that I am wrong!

Not sure if you live in 2013 but blender is rocking right now, so you are completely wrong, the best one can do is use both to their fullest and balance their weaknesses.
  • Quick Links