Houdini 20 will be unveiled (not released) on October 26

26207   128   5
2 posts
For those who missed it, Houdini 20 will be unveiled later this month! It will probably release in november like previous versions. Attendees in London on october 26 will get to see presentations about the following topics in Houdini 20, and videos will follow a few days later :

Solaris
Karma XPU
Clouds
Modeling and Lookdev
Crowds
KineFX | Rigging
KineFX | Animation
KineFX | Ragdoll
Feathers
Realtime Feathers

Those are probably not the ONLY updated things to come in Houdini 20. Let's get this hype train going!

https://www.sidefx.com/houdini-hive/houdini-20-hive/ [www.sidefx.com]
250 posts
Karma XPU, KineFX rigging, KineFX animation, and clouds, I am sold right there, I missed that one, can't wait for the launch, thanks for sharing!
233 posts
Why clouds lol?
I was more interested in redone viewport, dynamics enhancement, redone cops.
250 posts
LukeP
Why clouds lol?
My guess it's because Embergen is getting more and more popularity, and clouds are an important part of VFX, and as far as I am concerned the UI is not bad in Houdini, I actually kind of like it!
Edited by GCharb - 2023年10月5日 15:08:52
208 posts
LukeP
Why clouds lol?

Modeling and "Lookdev" can totally mean a better viewport. Let's see.
54 posts
what kind of clouds? those in the sky or in datacenters?
101 posts
oldteapot7
what kind of clouds? those in the sky or in datacenters?

Attila, who`ll be doing the cloud presentation is that "sexy explosions" guy, so the clouds in the sky are a safe bet... :-D
208 posts
It's a little bit surprising no AI mentioned.

I know AI is not ready to replace the VFX workflow (yet?), but I kinda expected a finetuned GPT model that can write VEX better than ChatGPT.
8554 posts
kodra
It's a little bit surprising no AI mentioned.

I know AI is not ready to replace the VFX workflow (yet?), but I kinda expected a finetuned GPT model that can write VEX better than ChatGPT.
Well nothing was mentioned yet, only thing you can see is names of presentations, not the full list of features. I assume that even if there was any AI assisted vex it wouldn't take the whole presentation to tell you you can type a prompt and get a questionable code back
Edited by tamte - 2023年10月7日 12:53:50
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
900 posts
"Note: On October 25th, SideFX is holding a Houdini 20 Keynote. This talk is at capacity but a few days after the event, SideFX will post a video recording for the whole community. As we approach these events, be sure to keep an eye out for the Houdini 20 Sneak Peek! Lots of great news on the horizon!"

What went wrong during the previous live announcement events? As far as I remember, they went flawlessly.
Edited by Andr - 2023年10月8日 04:54:35
19 posts
it is the sneak peek i am always interested in cos it tells you exactly what has been added. the keynote is only a detailed presentation of the sneak peek.

cant for it to be released.
スタッフ
1182 posts
Andr
What went wrong during the previous live announcement events? As far as I remember, they went flawlessly.

For our product launches SideFX typically goes to an event space where we record the presentation and spend a couple of days cutting the footage together - then we do a Youtube Live event so that the wider community can watch together and we can have SideFX staff there to answer questions. We have been doing this two stage launch for a number of years now.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
233 posts
rmagee
Andr

For our product launches SideFX typically goes to an event space where we record the presentation and spend a couple of days cutting the footage together - then we do a Youtube Live event so that the wider community can watch together and we can have SideFX staff there to answer questions. We have been doing this two stage launch for a number of years now.

Sounds good Rob. Can’t wait to see what you guys have done in the last 1-2 years.
Any chance you could give us a hint on when the sneak peak might be available? I’ve been literally checking the website a few times a day :-)
38 posts
"Any chance you could give us a hint on when the sneak peak might be available?"

I think better info to ask is whether or not sneak peek is planned before presentation at all?
If yes, then 100% around 2 weeks, if no, then you will check website in Oct 26 only.
1 posts
Hi!
How do you get tickets for the hive? There is only a waitlist and I did't get a confirmation email. I'd rather not fly to London without a ticket.
233 posts
Well I think it clearly states there that sneak peek will be available ahead of time.
スタッフ
1182 posts
Yes there will be a Sneak Peek but it will come a little closer to the event date so that we can fill it with cool stuff. Look for it around the middle of next week.
Edited by rmagee - 2023年10月10日 13:26:57
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
233 posts
Thanks Rob.
233 posts
rmagee
Yes there will be a Sneak Peek but it will come a little closer to the event date so that we can fill it with cool stuff. Look for it around the middle of next week.

Hope its the best and biggest release from SideFX since Houdini 1.0 :-)
8 posts
being H20, i would be very sad if there is nothing new on FLIPs or something(? . lol
  • Quick Links