Launcher does not work

8991   11   2
50 posts
Hey how,

I have problems to use the houdini launcher. I had the problems also before the new release. After updating to the new launcher, the houdini launcher will stay in the process like on the attached screenshot. “Waiting for 0 other actions…” also i am not able to get rid of the “needs repair” thing. Can anybody help me out with this issue?`

best
Fred

Attachments:
houdini_launcher.JPG (67.8 KB)

1104 posts
Yeah same here, this is getting to be real bad. I have several istallations I cant get rid off, they remain in windows add/remove and when I try to uninstall them the SideFX launch intercepts and gets stuck on Waiting for 0 other actions
/M

Personal Houdini test videos, http://vimeo.com/magnusl3d/ [vimeo.com]
122 posts
Good thing I've found this thread. I was about to download the Launcher again.
I really like the idea of it but I had so many issues with it in previous versions that I had to deinstall it.
In case SideFX staff sees this, are you aware of these issues or are you missing bug reports/more information?
122 posts
Bumping this thread. Tried to use the H19 Launcher and unfortunately, it still doesn't work. Installing H19 through the launcher will give the error message that the QT Libraries aren't installed. Even repairing the installation through the launcher doesn't fix it. So I had to install Houdini again the normal way and everything worked.
I would love to see the launcher working. It's not difficult to manage Houdini installations without it but the general concept of the launcher is great.
7727 posts
No_ha
I would love to see the launcher working. It's not difficult to manage Houdini installations without it but the general concept of the launcher is great.

The Launcher for 19 has be working for a while now. It was working in 18.5 too, but had some bugs with upgrading installs. That should all be working now.
69 posts
Getting error: You need to be logged in to view https://www.sidefx.com/download/download-installer/versions/windows/ [www.sidefx.com] It's worked before. Just started to not work.
4 posts
This is happening to me too. Worked fine previously, getting the "You need to be logged in to view https://www.sidefx.com/download/download-installer/versions/windows/ [www.sidefx.com]" error. I can see my username in the corner, so it appears I'm logged in. Have to force quit the launcher to close it.
41 posts
jakeodgers
This is happening to me too. Worked fine previously, getting the "You need to be logged in to view https://www.sidefx.com/download/download-installer/versions/windows/ [www.sidefx.com]" error. I can see my username in the corner, so it appears I'm logged in. Have to force quit the launcher to close it.
I was experiencing this too. It looks like something is wrong with cached credentials and the launcher keeps beating its head against a wall. I fixed it by disconnecting my PC from the internet, running the launcher which fails to login and clears the local credentials, reconnecting to the internet and logging back into the launcher.
406 posts
2nd attempt today to use the Launcher to update Houdini. 1st time a while ago I got a "corrupt install" error when trying to run the Launcher after install. SO I gave up.

This time it seems the Launcher was installed, but I get a "Error while extracting from houdini_19.tar.xz: Can't unlink already-existing object" error when trying to update from 19.0.561 to the latest 19.0.589.

Then after a while it installed a 19.0.589 after all, but a version that "NEEDS REPAIR", but repairing doesn't work :-/

So it seems this time I have to manually un- and reinstall 19.0.589.

Nice, "the preferred method of installing houdini".....
16 posts
toonafish
2nd attempt today to use the Launcher to update Houdini. 1st time a while ago I got a "corrupt install" error when trying to run the Launcher after install. SO I gave up.

This time it seems the Launcher was installed, but I get a "Error while extracting from houdini_19.tar.xz: Can't unlink already-existing object" error when trying to update from 19.0.561 to the latest 19.0.589.

Then after a while it installed a 19.0.589 after all, but a version that "NEEDS REPAIR", but repairing doesn't work :-/

So it seems this time I have to manually un- and reinstall 19.0.589.

Nice, "the preferred method of installing houdini".....

Getting the same.. "Waiting for 0 other actions" .. after waiting for about 5 minutes it finally uninstalled the version I wanted to remove and is working normally, but it would be nice if the user was informed to wait instead of having to guess as to how long something like this would take.
13 posts
I tried to upgrade Houdini versions with the launcher on 2 machines and it s failing
the install 'NEED Repair" which is not working. Unistalling is not working either.
I get issues such as :Repairing Houdini 19.5.752 failed
Error while unistalling files: Could not remove "C:/Program Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 19.5.716/bin/tiff.dll' jpeg.dll Access is denied
1 posts
All you need to do is log into the launcher with administrator rights and then install the program
  • Quick Links